Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This would force the intake to draw all it's air from the front mounted snorkle resulting in much cooler air. Anyone tried this?

·
Banned
9,238 Posts
Yeah, you can do it. My friend did it. He didn't plug the hole, he just took the resonator off. I think all it does is make it louder.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know it makes it sound more "throaty" but if it were plugged it couldn't draw hot air from the engine bay any longer.

·
Banned
9,238 Posts
Dude, that mod kicks ass! I'm gonna look into doing that!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wouldn't it be better to cut the snorkle hose in the middle and attack the integra shorty intake you can get at autozone for $40? I believe it is curved so that the filter end would wind up behind the headlight. It would almost be a true CIA for minium money. I made a clone FIPK II for my grand cherokee like that and it worked great.

·
Registered
798 Posts
The silencer essentially is the plug for the hole. Removing it and then pluging it up will accomplish nothing.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
the silencer slows air down as it enters the intake box, which actually does decrease the amount of power your motor can make. the gains aren't really impressive, but there are gains to be had. I would plug the hole if you remove the silencer, or do the cold air mod from the above link. leaving the hole open will make you draw in hot air from the engine compartment, and you won't see any gains from that. I'm actually thinking about getting rid of the SVT snorkel, but I'll probably just leave it in until I get my AEM CAI

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok now I'm confused. I thought the s shaped thing on the right side was the silencer. The scoop with the hose that runs underneath left side of box was the snorkle. If I'm right, then plugging the S hole would force all the air to come from the scoop in front. If I'm wrong then what the hell is the scoop for?[???:)]

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
the svt has two openings to the lower part of the intake box. one is the S shaped part on the right, the other is the scoop by the front of the hood. SVT reasoned that because the SVT motor breathed much better, it needed to suck in more air, but one of their intake locations was not thought out very well. the majority of the air comes from the scoop at the very front of the car. on the standard zetec engine, they have a sealed box instead of the S shaped intake on the right. as that the standard zetec was not designed to need more air than the front scoop supplied, the box slows the air down as it enters the intake, causing a loss of performance. the SVT scoop is bigger, but SVT thought it still needed more air (or else they just wanted to make the intake louder), so they put the S shaped snorkel on there.

·
Registered
107 Posts
the silencer is also referred to as a resonator sometimes. A couple of people have removed it, causing the motor to sound a little 'throatier' which it does. As for performance, personally, my butt-dyno couldn't tell the difference.

sure sound sexay tho :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts