Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 2012 Titanium in for service a few times specifically to address the intense shudder and grinding comings from the transmission (well documented in these forums!).

I was not having luck with the dealer that was closest to my house - they'd just do a software update and otherwise say it's operating normally. Part of the problem is that one day the car could be so god awful I want to drive it off a bridge. Other days it's pretty smooth. When I drop it off, it's almost always fine that day.

I recently brought the car to a different dealer. They were very helpful, knew exactly what I was talking about, and things were looking good initially. They said they'd partially disassemble the transmission and replace parts if necessary.

However, before they did that, they first had to take the car out for a drive with diagnostic computer attached to get readings. Apparently my car did not exceed the limits necessary to get transmission parts replaced, even though they wrote on two service reports that they verified the shuddering problems.

The suggestion was to again drive it for another 1k miles (they applied another software update) and bring it back and they'll try again.

This past Saturday I did a lot of city-like driving. Lots of stop signs, red lights, slow speeds, etc. The car was so so so bad. I'm thinking in my head, there's no way if they had the diagnostic readings from that day they would clear the car as being "normal".

Is there any reliable method to have the car exhibit the grinding and shuddering? I want to relay that info to Ford. What I really want is for a really bad day with the shuddering, drive the car right to Ford, and have a tech get in the car and experience it, but that seems unlikely.

Just so unbelievably frustrated. Hopefully someone has some tips. Thanks

·
Registered
359 Posts
The technicians have to verify your issue before any work is done to it. If it starts to have the trans problem while you're driving it, then take it into the shop as soon as you can. Or alternatively, you could ask to take a tech on a test drive (with you driving, with your normal driving habits). I've had to do this before with people who have had weird vibrations or noises that would only happen intermidiatly.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I would suggest to take your focus for a loooong drive in traffic before they road-test it. Also, I don't know if you did notice, but once the clutch is very hot, try to put your car in drive when going up hill. It will shudder a lot non-stop.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would suggest to take your focus for a loooong drive in traffic before they road-test it. Also, I don't know if you did notice, but once the clutch is very hot, try to put your car in drive when going up hill. It will shudder a lot non-stop.
Oh man, I drive 25-30 minutes to work in a lot of stop and go traffic. Once I arrive I have to drive the car up two or three levels of a parking garage. Shudders so bad every time

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Oh man, I drive 25-30 minutes to work in a lot of stop and go traffic. Once I arrive I have to drive the car up two or three levels of a parking garage. Shudders so bad every time
Well, do that and come back to the dealer. Guaranteed the shudder will be there. Make sure they test drive it when you show up.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I've had my 2012 Titanium in for service a few times specifically to address the intense shudder and grinding comings from the transmission (well documented in these forums!).

I was not having luck with the dealer that was closest to my house - they'd just do a software update and otherwise say it's operating normally. Part of the problem is that one day the car could be so god awful I want to drive it off a bridge. Other days it's pretty smooth. When I drop it off, it's almost always fine that day.

I recently brought the car to a different dealer. They were very helpful, knew exactly what I was talking about, and things were looking good initially. They said they'd partially disassemble the transmission and replace parts if necessary.

However, before they did that, they first had to take the car out for a drive with diagnostic computer attached to get readings. Apparently my car did not exceed the limits necessary to get transmission parts replaced, even though they wrote on two service reports that they verified the shuddering problems.

The suggestion was to again drive it for another 1k miles (they applied another software update) and bring it back and they'll try again.

This past Saturday I did a lot of city-like driving. Lots of stop signs, red lights, slow speeds, etc. The car was so so so bad. I'm thinking in my head, there's no way if they had the diagnostic readings from that day they would clear the car as being "normal".

Is there any reliable method to have the car exhibit the grinding and shuddering? I want to relay that info to Ford. What I really want is for a really bad day with the shuddering, drive the car right to Ford, and have a tech get in the car and experience it, but that seems unlikely.

Just so unbelievably frustrated. Hopefully someone has some tips. Thanks
Hi bkosborne,

JPFocus86 has a great suggestion of asking for a ride-along. Getting a second opinion, like you did, is often a great start, too. Once you've hit the thousand mile mark post the most recent update, I recommend heading back in to talk with that dealer. Please let me know when you do, along with your mileage, and I'll take a look into some additional assistance.

The technicians have to verify your issue before any work is done to it. If it starts to have the trans problem while you're driving it, then take it into the shop as soon as you can. Or alternatively, you could ask to take a tech on a test drive (with you driving, with your normal driving habits). I've had to do this before with people who have had weird vibrations or noises that would only happen intermidiatly.
Great tips!

Meagan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts