Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is not rocket science and I feel stupid for asking this but I have an 04 SVT and can't get the rear passenger wheel off. I was painting my calipers and the other 3 wheels came off really easy. I jacked the car up, took the 4 lug nuts off and wheel poped off but this one wheel will not budge. I took the lugs off but the wheel is stuck on. [???:)]

I tried having the E-brake on and off, but the car in N and R, read the manual just in case I missed something but it just won't come off. I smacked it with my foot, yanked, pulled, and nothing... [8]

Any ideas?

·
Registered
273 Posts
hit it

hit it light ly with rubba mallet till it comes off

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Kick the F outa it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
drive around for a while itll come off then [:D] but seriously though just keep pullin and hittin around the sides it will eventually come off

·
Banned
9,238 Posts
It's probably rusted on, like everyone said, just smack it around a little bit.

·
Cashed in my chips
2,837 Posts
I had the same problem when I recently painted my calipers. All 4 of my wheels were stuck, but after some beating, they all came off except that rear passenger side. I ended up taking a 2x4 (about 3 ft in length) and wedging it between the back of the wheel and a metal bracket that was behind the wheel and with minimum effort (I felt foolish, let me tell you) I popped the wheel right off. I mean, I had beat the shit out of this wheel with feet, hands, mallets, and pried at it with crowbars and screwdrivers. Then, all I needed was to wedge that board in there and with one hand pull the board a little bit. Leverage works wonders. I'll get a pic if you can't figure it out.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I had that problem on my other car but I took a wire brush and took the rust off and applied antiseize compound and never had another problem.

·
Registered
672 Posts
The wheels are centered on this little raised hub, so the clearance has to be pretty close. The mating surface of aluminum on cast iron results in an oxidation (that's all rust is) in this space and can freeze the wheel on. Back off the lug nuts a full turn, and take the car where you can do left and right circles. This will put a load on the wheel and it should snap free. You'll hear it break free. Tighten the nuts and drive home. Before remounting, clean the mating surface with emory or sandpaper, including the inner radius of the wheel. If you've got some anti-seize, use it on both surfaces. Good luck.....

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Galvanic corrosion has caused the wheel to seize to the hub. The corrosion occurs due two unlike metals (aluminum alloy and steel in this case) touch each other. You simply need to break the corrosion free. A well placed kick on the outside edge of the tire is usually enough. Wacking with a rubber mallet (as mentioned) on the tire will usually do it as well if its really stuck. To prevent it from happening again put a VERY thin layer of lithium based grease on the back side of the wheel hub. Do not use much as it could get on the brakes rotors or pads...not good.

·
Registered
34 Posts
try putting the lug nuts back on about 1/2 to 1 turn loose put the car on the ground, and with a buddy rock the car sideways till it pops loose[?|]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts