Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have also read that some locksmith shops can program it even if I have only 1 key. I just dont want to be wasteful with my money. If someone other than the dealer can do the same job for significantly less money, then that is where I would rather go. I am having a problem with the air bag system and will probably have to go to the dealer for that anyway.

·
ɔᴉʇɐuɐℲ snɔo&
7,806 Posts
I only had one key, but a locksmith made me a second for $50, Ford wanted $150 for a damn key. So, yes locksmiths can program a second key - you don't have to go to Ford.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks, that is what I wanted to hear. I suppose only some locksmiths have the abiltiy to do it, so I will call around and try to find one.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ace Hardware said they can do it for $69 including the key. He said he only needs 1 key to do the programming that takes about 5 minutes.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I got the key made at Ace Hardware for $69.99. It took less than 5 minutes. They had no problem doing it with only 1 key. Thanks for all the help.

Will

·
Registered
61 Posts
I got the key made at Ace Hardware for $69.99. It took less than 5 minutes. They had no problem doing it with only 1 key. Thanks for all the help.

Will
So they programmed the second key for you? They would have had to use a computer (I am pretty sure)

It starts the car?

I might go to Ace

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yes it starts the car. He took the key out of a small plastic box. He had it open and did something to it. He was also trying to mix some paint at the same time so I did not see everything that he did. Anyway, he cut the key and did something else with it below the counter, then we walked outside to the car. He stuck it in the car and it started. I thought there was more to it than that. Matter of fact, I told my wife that you can buy those keys on the web for $20, have them cut for 2 or 3 dollars, so the 1 minute it took to "program" the key cost about $45! Thats about $2700 per hour! I am in the wrong business.

Anyway, it works great. I have used it a few times just to be sure.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Either the programmers got cheaper or more shops saw the money in programming keys. I remember a few months ago everyone was going to Ford to have a second key made because finding a locksmith that could program it was a needle in a haystack.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I called a couple of locksmiths on Saturday and neither of them had the program to do it. So I called Ace hardware because the guy I bought the car from told me they could do it even with just one key and he was right.

I would not mind going to the dealership for some things if they did not charge twice (or more) as much as someone else for the same service.

I am also having a problem with the air bag light staying on and I am thinking I may have to go to the dealer for that... $$$!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I also read a trick online that you can use the remote starter (if you have one) to initiate a "second Key" and then be able to program a "third key".

So you use your remote start as the second key to program your actual second key.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Yes it starts the car. He took the key out of a small plastic box. He had it open and did something to it. He was also trying to mix some paint at the same time so I did not see everything that he did. Anyway, he cut the key and did something else with it below the counter, then we walked outside to the car. He stuck it in the car and it started. I thought there was more to it than that. Matter of fact, I told my wife that you can buy those keys on the web for $20, have them cut for 2 or 3 dollars, so the 1 minute it took to "program" the key cost about $45! Thats about $2700 per hour! I am in the wrong business.

Anyway, it works great. I have used it a few times just to be sure.
So that you know you didn't get ripped off, there is a LOT to getting certified, and trained correctly for that process and the equipment is either paid for by the month on a lease, or it is purchased outright for a large fee. It isn't like you buy a 200 dollar programer and go to town programming keys. There was a guy I knew who worked at a Merc dealership who did JUST that and he had to go to a week long course to be able to get everything right for the programming. I guess that one used on your car has to read the stock key, needs a password from the certified operator, and then clones the first key to the second. I am willing to bet that machine costs at least 5~10K or so to get it in the department and the bonding (insurance they need against misuse is super expensive as well.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I called a couple of locksmiths on Saturday and neither of them had the program to do it. So I called Ace hardware because the guy I bought the car from told me they could do it even with just one key and he was right.

I would not mind going to the dealership for some things if they did not charge twice (or more) as much as someone else for the same service.

I am also having a problem with the air bag light staying on and I am thinking I may have to go to the dealer for that... $$$!
That is why we call them Stealerships.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My working buddy just bought a new Fusion and the dealership told him a replacement key would be $350! Now that is getting ridiculous. I know they have a chip in them but dang. You can buy a laptop for $350 with a chip in it and it will do a lot more too.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
My working buddy just bought a new Fusion and the dealership told him a replacement key would be $350! Now that is getting ridiculous. I know they have a chip in them but dang. You can buy a laptop for $350 with a chip in it and it will do a lot more too.
Look up what a Mercedes SLK key costs, you'll know why only the filthy rich can afford that car! I seem to remember a lady told me she lost her key, and they sold her a new programmed one over the counter for $3600.00. I can get well into a NICE used SVT Focus for that and a few more bucks! Well another 2 grand but you guys know what I mean here!

21 - 39 of 39 Posts