Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people !

When I left work today, my rear window was full of snow. I didn't bother removing the snow (it was the only place with snow...). So once I was in the car, I started the rear defrost and I drove the car for a good 45 minutes to go home. Once I go home, I want to take stuff out of the trunk. However, something is strange (see the picture). There's snow on the left, but not the right (we see it's dry).

Is it broken ? Is it normal behavior ?

I have not contacted the dealer yet.

Thanks !

Attachments

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Did you continue to turn the defroster on after 15 minutes or so? If there is enough snow in places it won't melt completely, though it usually does a good job of keeping the window clear enough.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you continue to turn the defroster on after 15 minutes or so? If there is enough snow in places it won't melt completely, though it usually does a good job of keeping the window clear enough.
Yep. It ran the whole ride (about 45 minutes). The window was full of snow (same thickness)... it cleaned on the right side but not left. I saw it melting minute after minute on the right but not the left.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yep. It ran the whole ride (about 45 minutes).
So to have it on for 45 min you turned it on multiple times? I ask because i have to remember myself that when ive had thick ice on the rear window, the defrost only runs for 10 minutes.

From the manual:
Heated Rear Window
Note: The ignition must be switched on to use this feature.
Press the button to clear the rear window of thin ice and fog. Press the
button again within 10 minutes to switch it off. It switches off
automatically after 10 minutes, or when you switch the ignition off.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
So to have it on for 45 min you turned it on multiple times? I ask because i have to remember myself that when ive had thick ice on the rear window, the defrost only runs for 10 minutes.

From the manual:
Heated Rear Window
This.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

From the manual:
Heated Rear Window
Yes, I did. I saw the snow multiple time so I pushed the button and made sure the light was there. It suprise me only the left side didn't get heated...

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
Yes, I did. I saw the snow multiple time so I pushed the button and made sure the light was there. It suprise me only the left side didn't get heated...
Remove any ice and snow on the rearglass...
Turn it on and touch the glass with your hand inside the car...

Any temperature difference (between each side) means NO GOOD...

·
Registered
55 Posts
If it cleared any area then it is working as intended. If something was wrong then nothing would work. 99 % of the time a element (one of the lines) get broke. When this happens unless there is redundancy in the elements then the whole glass stops working.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
So Squad-G, did you get it fixed?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Electric defog/defrost CAN'T work on just one side, any element with a break won't work at all.

Snow will only melt in warm conditions & slow speeds (temps relatively close to freezing). It's a great insulator and just won't melt much in the cold.

Fog inside/frost outside - yeah, the electric will do it - slower if it's really cold, but ICE is solid enough to transfer the warmth as it melts to liquid.

How cold was it up there that day? Wind was prob. from your right & more got deposited as you went along as well.

·
Registered
233 Posts
...So once I was in the car, I started the rear defrost and I drove the car for a good 45 minutes to go home. Once I go home, I want to take stuff out of the trunk. However, something is strange (see the picture). There's snow on the left, but not the right (we see it's dry)...!

I'm here to assist, Squad-G. What's the current odometer reading? Please send it over; I'll see how to help. Also, I encourage you to book an appointment at your earliest convenience.

Kwasi

1 - 13 of 13 Posts