Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys think the MPG gauge is accurate? I took a 350 mile trip in my newish 09 Foci SE 4dr. The gauge read 37.7 MPG (85% HWY) on the way there and 39.7 (99.9% HWY) on the way back.

I did the math at the pump (Miles / Gallons used) and I only came up with 35.2 there and 37.2 on the way back.

(I am not necessarily complaining about the MPG... considering my 07 MTX only got a best ever of 31mpg on the hwy.)

So still really happy with the MPG's but disappointed in the LCD MPG read out... hoping it was going to be more accurate. I suppose its still valuable to follow but I can't believe what I read 100% I guess.

JB

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
Its close enough for me, and better then not having one. After 50,000 miles mine seems to be pretty close (+/-1mpg)
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I would think it is a little car dependent. so it is around right, but only average..
Thus maybe a few have a really good correlation, and others not so good.
The op system seems to be 2.5 mpgs optimistic.
I have not had long trips to do stuff with. Although i do have a recorded total at 2,140 miles with 61 gallons gas used so it is 35.1 mpg total avverage.
I have been getting better mpgs as time goes on.. so I would say it correlate well wit the mpg meter. if the meter is off, it is off the same all the time.. so it does offer a good insight into what actions produce the best fuel economy. And taht is it's most useful feature. Promoting good habits to conserve gas.
I love mine, and have to say I am a little too 'into' the mpg meter.. But after awhile I am sure my fascination will pass.

I wanted to buy an "Ultrameter" to do even more mpg stuff, but the flaw with it wearing out the battery, for me, is a killer, as I always go days between car use. (retired and all)

So I do not see the meter being a few mpg off as an issue.
As long as it is reasonably consistent, it is worth using. (the Ultrameter ,and Scan meter have adjustments, i would guess the Focus should have some, but then it would become complicated... and that is a problem in itself.)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
YEah so far after almost a month of driving... the MPG gauge is about 2MPG off consistently because the "at the pump" numbers are not the same...

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Mine is pretty accurate.

The avg MPG is pretty close and the "Miles to go" usually goes hand in hand with the reported average mpg.

I have a heavy foot most days though so mine changes pretty frequently.

·
Shiny Metal Titanium
3,647 Posts
Mine was usually only 1-2 high. But recently after having my crummy mileage, turns out I'm reading low. My 215/45/17 makes the car read a tad slower thus destroying my mileage lol

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mmm... pretty interesting... the responses to my thread seem to indicate that the digital gauge's MPG results are all over the place!

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
get some light wheels such as rotas like i did, do a couple of mods(CAI, exhaust, tune) and if you can keep your foot out of it the gas mileage improves. if i drive properly then i get mid 40's even in city driving. I just got on more of a gas mileage kick than a go fast one lol so after my fill up last night i will let you know the miles i get this tank.

As for the readout mine is 2 mpg+- from my hand calculations but i think that is due to some driving at 60.

The trick for auto guys is set the cruise at 41-43 mph in areas with 35-45mph speed limits in the city(=

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have only run 3 tanks of gas through my car since buying it, but I think the mileage reading may be just a tad optimistic. Maybe by 1-2 mpg. I am getting actually getting 32-33 mpg best I can figure and the reading is usually around 34. I also found out yesterday (almost the hard way) that when it says you have 50 miles to empty, you really don't. I drove another 30 or so and it was starting to sputter when I pulled to the pump.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
I have only run 3 tanks of gas through my car since buying it, but I think the mileage reading may be just a tad optimistic. Maybe by 1-2 mpg. I am getting actually getting 32-33 mpg best I can figure and the reading is usually around 34. I also found out yesterday (almost the hard way) that when it says you have 50 miles to empty, you really don't. I drove another 30 or so and it was starting to sputter when I pulled to the pump.
i have got mine down to 9miles left and it never sputtered lol

·
Registered
64 Posts
i have got mine down to 9miles left and it never sputtered lol
No, mine was reading 1 mile to empty when it sputtered and I pulled in the station. What I mean is that it gave me the 50 mile warning, but I only traveled about 30 before I got down to 1 mile left. The readout was dropping faster than the mile markers LOL! I stopped at the gas station about 1 mile from where I work. I was afraid that if I went on to work, I wouldn't make it back to the station. And this is in a neighborhood you don't want to run out of gas in. LOL

·
Registered
724 Posts
We have almost 9k miles on our 12 Focus and the mpg display has read consistently .8-1 mpg low on a tank of gas.

I have had (4) Chrysler products with mpg displays and they all have been consistently within +/- .2 mpg. I am a little disappointed that it is not more accurate.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Well I understand that when it tells you that you have 50 miles before empty, the computer has no idea what kind of driving you will do from that point on. High speed, steady 55, stop and go, whatever. It would be nice if the average miles to gallon was right on the money, but hey at least it's close.

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
The first time I go the 50 to empty chime, startled the crap out of me. Then I was even more shocked to learn that it really meant 50 to empty! not 50 till you hit your reserve like in my Ranger, in that thing when the needle hit red (E) you still had 2.5gl of gas left. In our cars when its on red (E) your out!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got a new one for you guys.. get this.. I had been having issues with my 09.. I took it back to two different dealers 4 times... every single time they told me its normal. Well.. the fourth time I got it back... the car felt different like ven though they said they didn't find anything and it was all normal.. they must have changed something because when I did my MPG at the pump.. I gained 1.2 MPG back!!!. Now its only .50-.75 mpg off... WHAT a joke! They said nothing was wrong yet I gained MPG after getting it back! REALLY??? Its like they must find pleasure in screwing with me. So.. for any of you guys that got a shady MPG and issues with erratic shifting in your 08-09.. check your trans. solenoids... if they replace one of them and you gain MPG... let me know... I am pretty certain that is what it was... even though they refused to tell me anything was wrong!!!

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
omfg its a computer. do the math yourself if you've got trust issues with your car.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts