Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im wondering if this mod is even worth it, the aem website is only claiming 8 hp is there a noticeable pickup?

I also plan on getting toms tune if that makes a difference.

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
i wouldn't say that much hp increase but you will notice a better throttle response and rev quicker. maybe more like 3 or 4 hp gains. oh and the sound.... you'll just die when you hear it, sounds so sick!
is it worth it? HELL [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]G YEAH!

·
Registered
284 Posts
definitely worth it. dont worry about all the hydrolock hype. very rare does that happen..i've had a CAI on the last three cars i've owned and it rains fairly heavy in jersey now and then..never once have i had a problem. makes the most power out of any "intake"..especially in the summer times when its real humid out. makes a huge diff

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
In a word .... YES!! Get it, you'll be glad you did!!! And as mentioned above, don't worry too much about the hydrolock issue you are likely going to hear in this thread. I live in Houston and we get some bad rain sometimes and I have never had an issue. Just be smart and stear clear of puddles and deep water and you'll be fine.

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
have any of you seen the dyno's on Oscar Jackson's site?

They put an aftermarket intake in (Volant) and came up with very little gain...put the stock one back in and put a K&N drop-in in there and measured a gain of 7hp. Kinda makes you wonder eh? Our stock intake is actually a CAI w/ a touch of ram air.

While all the aftermarket parts look good, I sometimes wonder if I would have done just as good or better with the drop in vs. the short ram.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
^^^That's exactly why I'm just sticking with my drop in filter (ITG Pro) in the stock air box.
Yeah, those dynos that Oscar did are an eye opener. [;)]

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I just orderd one from a local "rice" shop for pretty cheap. Im not worried at all about the hydrolock concerns, it rarely rains in san diego and when it does i'll just slap the stock one on for peace of mind.

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
I have the FS Cool-Flow and I am considering going back to the stock intake with a drop in. I believe I may actually gain from going back...esp in the summer, no heat soak.

If I did it over again and went aftermarket, I would probably go Pipercross else AEM CAI.

BajaKid - no worries on hydrolock and enjoy your new purchase, everyone on these boards who bought one is very happy with it.

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
if you're really concerned, get a by-pass valve and make a shield underneath your bumper.

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
LOL... sounds like someone I know! [:D]

As for the gains over stock.. they're definitely there. And the sound... sweet merciful heaven, the SOUND!

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
I liked the one I had before I went turbo.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Newkleus said:
Maybe I should get one. Where did y'all find it cheap? PM me!
I found one on ebay that after shipping costs it came to $10 cheaper than i paid ($280) that seems like a decent deal to me.

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
check ebay. i found mine extremely cheap!!!! hardly used and came with everything and a reoiled filter for get this... $80 Shipped!!!! [:D] i cleaned all the aem logos and stickers off and hightemp painted it orange.

i didn't get the AEM lisence plate frame cover though [:(]

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well i installed the intake, and let me tell you it looks sexy as hell, the blue matches the color fairly well. I noticed a little bit of an increase in hp/torque, but nothing too significant. It sounds pretty bad ass though, is it supposed to whistle around 3000 rpms?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Does the AEM sound any different then say a cool flo or any of the other short rams?

·
Registered
356 Posts
thought I would add that I just removed my AEM... I got tired of the filter getting soaked in heavy rains, missing in partial throttle acceleration after the filter got wet, and just overall displeasure and work trying to keep that stupid "dryflow" filter dry.

the stock air box w/ K&N filter = no difference in performance that I can feel or my GTech Pro can detect. (And I know the GTP isnt really an accurate measurement... but if the lack of the CAI doesnt move its numbers at all... its benifits were far less than required to make the maint, and worry worth it. )

Also the fit/finish lacked some... I love how the AEM grinds on the clutch line on the tranny... thats hot stuff right there.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts