Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of adding some 100 octane race gas to my fuel, like a 50/50 misture of 100 and 93 octane, would that cause any problems?

·
MW2 NE1?
1,612 Posts
if you get it tuned, i think it will add a few HP to your ride, but thing is you gotta keep using that 100 ocatane for it

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a tune on it. I was reading somewhere that it can be a good way to clean your fuel system, I wouldnt want to run it permantly.

I'm afraid to use sea foam in my car so this is option 2 I guess lol.

·
Banned
2,334 Posts
if you want to claen your fuel system then fun half a can of sea foam threw the break booster line, and the other half threw the gas tank with premo gas.

·
Registered
426 Posts
seafoam through the brake booster blew my intake manifold off, and im not the only one it happened to

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ive never read/heard of seafoam breaking stuff till now, but im still scared to run it through my fofo. thats why I was looking at the race gas method. I'd love to try seafoam, but man I cant afford to break my car.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
well ill let you know a little secret, there is cleaning agent in all gasoline, and gasoline is a great solvent itself...

In fact I use gasoline right from the pump to clean all the dirt and lubricant off my dirtbike chain after I get done riding it through muddy/dusty trails, and it does a wonderful job, sometimes I dont even have to get out the tooth brush and give the chain a little scrub.(oh yeah 87 octane too)

Obviously I am not a big believer in the additive market, unless its the stuff that helps when you have water in your gas, I have tried seafoam before and it didnt do anything noticible for me.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Moved to "Technical Chat", since I now see this is a maintenance question.

First and Last Words on fuel system cleaners:
Chevron Techron [thumb] [driving]

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Also note if this race fuel is leaded or not. Far as I know there are both 100 Octane versions out there, be sure to not use the leaded version. If it does not specifically say 100 Octane Unleaded Fuel, don't try it.

And for the Sea foam kids, don't use the brake booster line. For one it's too damn big. Two, it's too damn hard to get to. Just use the small line from the EVAP canister or one from the ERG system, small lines. Much more accessible and still does the same thing, and at a safer ingestion rate.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
i dont think that my car likes 94 too well for some reason or it just doent like the fall/ cold season.

·
Focus "Sleeper"
1,619 Posts
Only time you would need seafoam in the tank is if the car has sat with the same fuel in the tank for a couple years. I say this because teh only time I have seen something benefit from seafoam was my freinds old mitsu mirage. Sat with the same fuel for 6 years.

Anyways, point is, dont do addatives. Will do nothing as long as the car hasnt sat for years. And since you are driving a car that is less than 6 years old, I highly doubt you need anything.

·
Focus "Sleeper"
1,619 Posts
i dont think that my car likes 94 too well for some reason or it just doent like the fall/ cold season.
Your car doesnt like how gas companies up the ethanol content in thier fuels in the winter.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Your car doesnt like how gas companies up the ethanol content in thier fuels in the winter.

But we get lower Ethanol content in winter [scratch]
Least in MN we do.

and I have yet to have a starting issue in the cold. IIRC it was a few years back my car sat outside (hell it always sits outside who am I kidding) and stared in -20 air temps (-40ish with wind chill). Little slow cranking but it turned over and ran on the first key turn. Felt like a brick driving to work though, stiff my gosh.

My opinion says it has a lot to do with your ignition system, charging system and choice of fluids. I have run full synthetic oil since new (56 miles actually) and swear by it.
Last winter was the first time I actually used my block heater. Did help alot, more so with warming me up faster than the car though. Thing is puny, like 15 watts or something just horrendously low.

·
Focus "Sleeper"
1,619 Posts
^^ Really? I was possitive the ethanol levels went up.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
oh yeah i forgot, changing of the seaons=changing of gas

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
yeah I think the ethanol goes down, correct me if im mistaken but ethanol is a anti-pollution additive isnt it? Its funny but in the winter with my old truck I can feel a huge difference in performance, it felt so much more powerful, I dont feel anything with the Focus though...

P.S. I thought you were talking to yourself a minute there Captain Moonpie, with yours and iminhell's avatars.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the info, I'll make sure I'm getting unleaded 100 octane lol.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
4,360 Posts
Save your money.

You will NOT see any increase in performance as a result of using "race gas".

The engine and fuel management systems are tuned to burn 93/94 octane fuel.

The knock sensors will pick up on the higher octane, but this doesn't translate to any HP gain - in a stock engine.

If anything, you run the risk of burning the exhaust valves and recalibrating the ECU. So, when you go back to conventional fuel, the engine will spark knock for a period of time.

Is it "unsafe"? No, but it doesn't buy you anything either.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts