Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Company Car- 2012 Focus. 90,000 miles. Check engine light came on and then 10 minutes later it was nearly undriveable. If you got above say 2000 rpm the transmission just didn't seem to engage (or slipped). The only way I drove to the nearest safe place to pull over was to push the gas to the floor- shooting the rpm's up to 5000 , that threw me forward with enough thrust to shoot up to 35 mph... Then the engine would drop to 1000 rpm.

Some people seem to think it could have been a fuel issue or something, but the way people describe the way their focus has been on the highway before and all of a sudden they couldn't accelerate sounds like exactly what I experienced- I just drove it hard to get somewhere safe. Coincidently, I think I could have drove it in L and maintained 35-40 mph @ a constant 5000 rpm.

We towed it to a rural ford dealer and they said they couldn't even look at it for a week!

Here what scares me- I can buy that car for $8500 when it comes time to turn it in (likely in the next 2 months), but I'm scared to death of touching this thing now, even after the dealer does a complete repair.

Any guess as to what the issue is?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, no one had bitten. Anyways, called shop and they can't duplicate problem. I'm surprised because I thought for sure I would tear the car up driving it for 20 miles like I did. The service advisor said he thinks it could be throttle body or something else but is still trying to prove it out.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Well, no one had bitten. Anyways, called shop and they can't duplicate problem. I'm surprised because I thought for sure I would tear the car up driving it for 20 miles like I did. The service advisor said he thinks it could be throttle body or something else but is still trying to prove it out.
I see you mentioned it being your company car. Have you reached out to Ford Fleet? Their number is: 1-800-343-5338.

Meagan

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I see you mentioned it being your company car. Have you reached out to Ford Fleet? Their number is: 1-800-343-5338.

Meagan

Thanks for replying! We have fleet management service and I'm sure they are working the best process or option they have. That is not my call actually. I was just concerned about this particular repair because I was interested in purchasing the car from them when i turn it in. No longer interested though.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Thanks for replying! We have fleet management service and I'm sure they are working the best process or option they have. That is not my call actually. I was just concerned about this particular repair because I was interested in purchasing the car from them when i turn it in. No longer interested though.
Glad to hear they're working on it! :)

Meagan

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Tx for posting the resolution.

TCM would have been the best guess, but your symptoms weren't EXACTLY like the typical ones & it was at the Dealer with Meagan's assistance so there wasn't much we could do to help out by the time I saw this one.

If you'd had a 'we can't fix it" situation because of the typical lack of codes when this happens we could have been of more help, thankfully you didn't have to go through that.

Figure everyone else who saw it was in the same boat, nothing helpful to add.

GL with it now that you've got it back.

(Not the most common issue, but not unheard of either)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

So I have driven with a full tank of gas, I'll be at ethanol, and I am only getting now 28 miles a gallon after this repair. That seems very strange. this car has 90,000 miles on it and I don't think that I have ever average that low on a tank of gas.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts