Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Breathing. Alive?
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sorry to invade the ST forums with my Mk1 ZX3 but I just wanted to ask one thing, is it really necesary to mod a new ST? I'm gonna need a new car in two years to get back and fourth from San Jose State and I don't trust this old thing to get me there once a week. I know the ST comes with the turbo and all the nice performance parts unlike the older stuff so do you guys, the ST owners, have the same strong urge that we do to up the performance of your ride as soon as you drive it off the lot? I understand short throw shifters and little things like that but I meant stuff such as headers, intake, exhaust, tune, etc.

I apologize if my topic is odd but I'd like to see what the drivers think of the car.

Thanks!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I dont feel like the car is lacking for power, so I dont feel the need to add more right away. I will later down the road, but theres other things that I plan to do first; brakes, wheels, speakers. The fist thing I added was a short shift and some exterior stuff; badges, antenna, front lip.
So if youre coming from a zx3 you will prolly be pretty happy with the power for a while.

·
That Guy
13,634 Posts
I dont feel like the car is lacking for power, so I dont feel the need to add more right away. I will later down the road, but theres other things that I plan to do first; brakes, wheels, speakers. The fist thing I added was a short shift and some exterior stuff; badges, antenna, front lip.
So if youre coming from a zx3 you will prolly be pretty happy with the power for a while.
Exactly this. You definitely won't be in as much of a rush to change parts. The only 'performance' thing I've done to my FoST is a drop-in air filter. I'll get a tune in a bit, but I'm not in much of a hurry.

My FiST, otoh...

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
Slight difference. No modding to begin w/ but once you get use to it, you'll want more. Isn't that always the case? Just to throw it out there, Have you compared the fost to the fist?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I bought the ST for the out-of-the-box performance on the twisties. Since I'm on my second one, I can say that neither has let me down. A drag car it 'ain't', a 'cya later' car in the corners, it 'is'. My front seat passengers always hit the brakes way too soon. :)

·
Breathing. Alive?
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sweeeeet. They say it makes about 270 with that turbo I believe. Should definitely be a step up from the ~130 that the ZX3 is supposed to make. It's probably down a couple considering the age.

Slight difference. No modding to begin w/ but once you get use to it, you'll want more. Isn't that always the case? Just to throw it out there, Have you compared the fost to the fist?
I have, but the FiST has a 1.6T, if I'm not mistaken, and it is smaller so power:weight and all, but I can't fit into that thing. I got into one when they first came out and I was even shorter back then. Lol

and besides, Focus is waaaaaay better.

I bought the ST for the out-of-the-box performance on the twisties. Since I'm on my second one, I can say that neither has let me down. A drag car it 'ain't', a 'cya later' car in the corners, it 'is'. My front seat passengers always hit the brakes way too soon. :)
That's kinda what I'm looking for if I'm gonna be putting upwards of 25k into a Focus, because, let's face it, I could get a Camaro LT1 or a BRZ for about the same price, but neither are turbo'd.

But they are RWD

And the BR-Z is a track ready car.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...

[joke][ffrocks]

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've modded everything I've ever owned no matter what. It's a hobby that I love and to me there will never be an end to it. I daily drive my ST and modding didn't take away from the fun factor of the car. Only made it more enjoyable to drive.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sweeeeet. They say it makes about 270 with that turbo I believe. Should definitely be a step up from the ~130 that the ZX3 is supposed to make. It's probably down a couple considering the age.

I have, but the FiST has a 1.6T, if I'm not mistaken, and it is smaller so power:weight and all, but I can't fit into that thing. I got into one when they first came out and I was even shorter back then. Lol

and besides, Focus is waaaaaay better.

That's kinda what I'm looking for if I'm gonna be putting upwards of 25k into a Focus, because, let's face it, I could get a Camaro LT1 or a BRZ for about the same price, but neither are turbo'd.

But they are RWD

And the BR-Z is a track ready car.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...

[joke][ffrocks]

LT1.....better off with the Focus.....faster and fits more people with tune only. Nothing worse then being in a muscle car being slapped by a focus. Lol

·
Registered
75 Posts
RMM and lighter wheels would be the only thing I'd do to an ST for the first year or so, in the performance category. The sound symposer would work for my earholes instead of getting a new exhaust or intake. I would probably get the Agency Power rear diffuser to cover up the exhaust gap under the body but that's about it.

After a few years and some time on the autocross track I'd probably end up wanting a little more power, so I'd go with a set of bolt-ons and a cobb tuner, and short throw shift plate. Finally, I'd go for a GT2871R turbo once the price for the application comes down and be sitting happy on ~400 whp.

But my stock SE does what I want, the ST stock would be overkill for me currently, much less modifying it. It all depends on what you want the car for.

BTW: the Fiesta ST power:weight ratio is less than the Focus ST, going by "rated" hp. Focus has 25% more power and only 18% more weight, and can benefit more from stock>lightest realistic-cost aftermarket wheels available.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've had mine for a week now and yes, out of the box it's fantastic. The only mod I'm planning soon is an air intake from Roush. Other than that, I'm going to wait until spring after I've been able to get some autocross runs in, and then I'm going to look into that FRPP system. My car is also needed for day to day, so while I want to put some gear on, I don't want to go too overboard and I need to keep my warranty intact.

The racing is a hobby for me, so it's going to be double duty, so when not on the track, I'll still want to know that there's more under the hood than most people will think at the stoplight.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I modded ...

After coming from fast cars...
All motor B18c DC2, over 200whp
Evo VIII with 340awhp
Evo X with 440awhp

This car wasn't as quick..but it was quick enough for me to drive it stock for 6 months before I even thought about modding.... the torque is crazy!

If you're going to mod, go the cheap route. Drop in filter, catless dp, exhaust and tune, if it's in the budget, IC and piping. The stock unit is a joke.
If you get everything on a sale, your looking at under 2k for a beast of a street car.

The mods I am running -

CPE Intake
MBRP Catless Downpipe
MBRP Cat Back Exhaust
CXRACING Intercooler & piping kit
Boomba Racing BOV
COBB AP3 Tuned by Randy w/ Mountune 91 & E30 tunes.

These are probably the only go fast mods I will run on this car. That's all it needs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts