Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is it worthed to replace the whole prestone liquid?

I have a 5/8 cooling hose to replace soon so i was wondering if i should replace the whole cooling system liquid.I just bougth an SVT 02.

Am i gonna have more power from the A/C or som'thing?[:)]

Thanks in advance[:)]

·
Registered
152 Posts
The condition of the coolant will not affect the AC. However, a dirty/plugged condensor or rad will. (Depending on the setup)

If your coolant looks in good shape, the PH level is good, and the overflow tank and rad cap look clean, you shouldnt have to change the fluid. If you have the time, then go for it. Just like rotating tires, cleaning and lubing caliper slides, and changing engine oil and fuel filters..more is better

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
^^^ I picked up a gallon of the OEM Motorcraft (Gold) at our Dealer for $11/gallon.
Amazingly enough, I guess it was a better price than I thought. [;)]

·
Banned
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm since we are on the subject,do i need special 5/8 curved hoses or standart 5/8 will works?That's the 2 hoses that i need to remove the battery to replace.

Also,how much Prestone do i need for the whole system?:(

·
Banned
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks[thumb]

Oh and WD40,if you want to move to Canada,i can find you a sweet home anywhere near of my {{{SVT}}}.[;)]

(Don't tell anyone,but i'm thinking about the short shifter)

[:D]

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Future STV rider said:
Thanks[thumb]

Oh and WD40,if you want to move to Canada,i can find you a sweet home anywhere near of my {{{SVT}}}.[;)]

(Don't tell anyone,but i'm thinking about the short shifter)

[:D]
Merci! LOL!
We were actually talking about moving further north not too long ago.
Our last couple winters here have been rather pathetic...we like the snow and cold.
Oh, it's been cold enough, but not nearly enough snow. [:(]

And...I won't tell anyone about the STS. [;)]

·
Registered
549 Posts
while your replacing your coolant go ahead and add some "water wetter", i used it on all my cars and it does in fact lower your running temp by a few degrees.and supposedly this prolongs the life of your water pump,etc....

·
Banned
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Future STV rider said:
Quote:"Merci! LOL!
We were actually talking about moving further north not too long ago.
Our last couple winters here have been rather pathetic...we like the snow and cold.
Oh, it's been cold enough, but not nearly enough snow. "

Montreal is a bilingual city and has 2 SVT dealers.
[8D]

I'm in Quebec city which is more beautiful and small but here we mostly speak french.[:I]

Lemme know,i can arrange you being an immigrant.[:)]

Rigth now it is very confortable,no killing heat at all.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I used water wetter once in a BMW motorcycle. It was 14 years old. One month after I put the water wetter in the water pump seal began to leak.

I can't say that it was the water wetter that did it; however, (1) it was quite a coincidence, and (2) if you read how water wetter is suppose to work, it makes some sense that it might push a marginal seal "over the edge" and cause a leak earlier, since lower surface tension could encourage leaking of a marginal seal.

Make you own conclusions, as my single case proves nothing. But for the marginal improvement it provides with antifreeze coolant, I've decided to stay away from it (I believe it has the most benefit if you are running straight water for racing purposes).

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
I added Hyper Lube when I changed out my coolant.

It's been tested to be a little better than Water Wetter and costs less.

Hy-Per Lube Super Coolant

Hy-Per Lube Super Coolant provides lowers the surface tension of the coolant, allowing it to more deeply penetrate the metal surfaces at vital heat-transfer areas in the cooling system. This allows cooling systems using a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water to run 6 to 8 degrees cooler, and racing applications using straight water to run 20 degrees cooler!

Hy-Per Lube Super Coolant provides protection from rust, corrosion & electrolysis in cooling systems using 50/50 water and antifreeze and in water only applications.

Hy-Per Lube Super Coolant passes ASTM D-2570 simulated service corrosion tests !
TEST Results

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
Also, if you want to help keep the temps down, install a 180 degree thermostat but it might be overkill if your not FI. Stock is 190 degrees.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts