Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noob alert for the record.

Basically I have a 1.8, currently in the garage for a engine replacement which is expensive and sucks.

Am wondering, as its the Millennium edition I'm trying (trying being the operative word in this sentence) to keep it as near to stock as possible for when I want to sell for the obvious reasons.

However, is it worth getting any minor performance upgrades done such as Induction, Exhaust, Chip, etc, things that can be easily be undone, but performance tweaks for the meantime.

... Or just not to bother?

The dilemma is, any money that would be spent on anything to do with my car, is just alternatively going to get spent on crap like those sandwiches from Tesco's or Beer and Kinderegg's, you know how it is.

I have researched about the internet loads and know a bit about cars so I'm not totally naive :)

Suggestions / thoughts / all other input please

Go go go!

·
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST
15,097 Posts
I suggest getting the stock parts and putting it back together to a reliable ride for whomever you sell it too.

It is quite easier to sell a stock car than a modified one. Most modified rides, give most buyers the impression that the car has lived a hard life. Stock cars keep your demographic wide from those who enjoy the cars for modifications to parents looking to buy their children their first car.

-Ray-

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
If your trying to increase the value of the car for resale, I would say no, it's not worth it.

If your trying to make a car that is more fun to drive when you own it, definitely it is worth it.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I found a Kinder Egg toy. A little green alien playing golf with an ice cream cone for the ball.
I tracked down what it was and on eBay found the full set of little green aliens.
Cool toys. [woot]
Pity they are illegal in USA: no non-edible toys inside candy allowed.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Call Me old school in thinking this,but once an engine is replaced,does the value of the Car go up,down or not have any change on the value?
I kind of always thought that with a major replacement like an engine,the value drops as many people would assume that the Car had been a lemon.
Or on older vehicles that the value dropped as it was no longer a numbers matching Car.
Just wondering....

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
would you pay more for a car with 200k on it or one that someone dropped in a 23k engine in it?

i would say the value would go up. the value of my car increased when i put in a new trans (or atleast according to the insurance appraiser.)

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
would you pay more for a car with 200k on it or one that someone dropped in a 23k engine in it?

i would say the value would go up. the value of my car increased when i put in a new trans (or atleast according to the insurance appraiser.)
True,but in the back of my mind,I would always be worrying that it wasn't done right,or wondering why the original engine went bad to begin with.
Like I said,back in the day it was kind of the other way around.
Also,You didn't want a Car with over 100,000 miles on it either.
I guess as long as documentation exists,value should increase.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts