Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I replaced my exhaust manifold about two months ago, the used replacement I got from ebay only had two bolts on it to secure the heat shield on (the other bolts were broken off into the manifold). Now I can't ger the shield to stop rattling. Would it be okay if I just removed the heat shield alltogether? I've got a cat-back exhaust, so the system should'nt be as hot as it was when it was stock.

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
I still would not take it off without somehow protecting your wires.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there some sort of heat resistant stuff i can put on the wires?

·
Registered
549 Posts
they sell a silver high heat tape for that, or some people just use high temp silicone hose and cut a slit down the middle, and wrap them that way. home depot..etc should have the tape in the a/c department.

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
Why not backout the broken bolts and then just bolt it on there like it should be.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
focusin said:
Why not backout the broken bolts and then just bolt it on there like it should be.
Because I honeslty don't want to risk breaking anything...AGAIN.

·
Registered
461 Posts
can't get the bolts from ford or something simple? I wouldn't necessarily risk removing the heat shield .. it's there for many reasons. Heat will rise right up into your engine bay, possibly damaging your hood and maybe even other parts.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
pLaYa2284 said:
can't get the bolts from ford or something simple? I wouldn't necessarily risk removing the heat shield .. it's there for many reasons. Heat will rise right up into your engine bay, possibly damaging your hood and maybe even other parts.
well with my cat-back exhaust, it should'nt get any hotter than a shorty header (that's closer to the hood anyway). I'm really only worried about the exposed wires.

·
Registered
461 Posts
ah i see, might've missed that part earlier ... which shorty header?

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
pLaYa2284 said:
ah i see, might've missed that part earlier ... which shorty header?
Any...I don't have one, but my manifold cant' get any hotter than a shorty header.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I drove about 500 miles sans heat sheild and was fine... mayeb you could just get some header wrap...

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I haven't had a heat shield since I put on the header in January. However, it is a ceramic coated header and I have hi-temp wires so I am not sure this would work for you.

I haven't had any heat issues with the hood or anything else under it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts