Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, out of the blue, it just feels way more loose. What can I do to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I put a piece if small tubing behind the spring on the cable up near the firewall. I didn't like the feel of it though. It raised the pedal about 1/2" higher than the brake pedal. It did seem tighter though. If you lift the pedal and check with a flashlight, you can see the slack in the cable.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Moved to "Ford Focus Technical Chat".

Have you checked to make sure the cable is OK under the hood, and where it attaches to the TB?
Also, check to make sure the cable attachment is intact at the top of gas pedal.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Not sure if it’s just a 02 thing, but my throttle cable under the hood is quite long compared to my buddies 03. Well once I noticed this I moved some of the slack around the clip and made my pedal feel way harder. I moved it back right away. My cable is longer then the one in this pic.

*NOT MY PIC PULLED OFF GOOGLE*

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
I"ll bet the cable came loose from its perch on the TB...Mine did it once, check that first!

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
lemme check my car and see the workings on the throttle and get back to you.. there may be a hidden adjuster ....gimme till Wednesday to reply on that its to late now to mess with the car

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
sorry I havn't today was a craptastic rainday and yesterday was a writoff fighting with my ISP they suspended me cuz it seems working from home on a residential internet package is against there TOS

Im hopin tomorrow I can dig in there and see whats what... :/ sorry bout the delay

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey man, sorry to be a bother, but did you find out anything? This situation is driving me pretty crazy. Its just way too sensitive. :(

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
ok upon turning my Project car into a guinea pig, I have found the following

These accell cables are designed to be prefit as in there non adjustable
taking a closer look I did notice that after age the retainers that hold the cables shield in place get old and deteriorate and will slowly let the casing slip but on the fact being it shouldn't really change the distance between the ends of the cable but it seems they do slightly

on my car when I purchased it (Wagon 1) my accelerator cable is actually run across the engine bay to the front of the car where it lays on top of the rad support which it gets pined between both the support and hoot.. my Second wagon they stuffed it against the rad and its been heat treated which stretched it

your cable possibly could of expanded due to heat do not tuck the cable against the rad and support I will get pictures of both my Foci's to show you.. measuring the distance between Wagon 1 and Wagon 2 shows my cable is 1/4 longer on Wagon 2 then wagon 1 and both cars are identical with the exact same engine..

I have the cable back in the car I'm going to fabricate a spacer that can be (if possible) be tucked into the retainer for the cable shield which will lengthen the shield by a 1/4 inch and see if it works will if it does I will note back ( by lengthening the shield it causes less travel for the cable itself... I will post images in a second of both engine bays to show what I mean

as per one of the recommendations on jamming something on the pedal side I highly go against because if that faults it could be bad

cable lengths can be altered with sleeves I use these sleeve inserts on everything from bikes, snowblowers to lawnmowers.. I have never tested it on a car so I will test it on my own and see how well it fares...

Wagon 1 is my 01 SE wagon I had for 2 years now
Wagon 2 is my 01 SE wagon I had for about 2 weeks with a popped motor

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
well just returned from takin a few pics... unfortunatly someone used Wagon 1 so I couldn't get pics of it but I mimicked the run on Wagon 2 and I found something new about it

upon unclipping my throttle cable again to show the run I found parts of the shield heat damaged ( melted I'm replacing mine but I will try the sleeve out on the cable see how well it works )

P.S. Im trying as hard as I can to help on this but I can't turn Wagon 1 into a guinea pig due to its my daily driver I put over 110,000 in one year I will see if I can quickly swap the cables for a few days after I make the spacer insert sleeve and see how well it fares with it.. due to the cables design of having a flexible hard plastic shield and a rubber tube to protect the braided cable theres not much reinforcement to the side of like bike cables theres a reinforcement within the shield where it won't rub the sheils down after age it just rubs the cable till it snaps.. on the fofo I beleive they designed this cable like that to prevent any kind of binding if it does start to corrode and won't stick/hold

This is how Wagon 2's throttle cable is run and it got heat damaged

This image is of the same car but wagon 1 is run this way with the retainers turned to hold the cable on the rad support bar

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh wow, I really appreciate you doing all this man. I wouldn't want you to do anything to jeopardize the drivability your own car though.

My throttle cable is in a different area though, and it doesn't go through that thing like yours does. It goes right over the top of the motor. Would I still have the same thing I would need to fix?

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
o.o uhh I just realized you have a svt x.x I dunno how a svt is run can you get me a picture of your throttlebody and engine bay please

[V] I should read what kind of vehicle people have more better

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
hrmm can someone that reads this please supply me a close up picture of the throttle body where the cable is attached, I need to know how the retainer/clip/base is like
I beleive the same pedal configuration style is used between the 2 but I may be wrong aswell :/

Tnx :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts