Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Floods suck.
5,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a "set" of spark plug wires from a member on here. (Instead of the numbers on the wires being 1,2,3,4 they are 1,3,4,6. I was thinking this was a partial set for a V8 or something because the one with the number 4 on it is the longest.) He did say they would need new connections on both sides, which I didnt really know what that meant. I went to put them on my car, and the wires were 3 or 4 times too long. Everything I have found on the internet only shows how to shorten spark plug wire kits that you do yourself. These are already premade, so I didnt know if there was some way to shorten them. I dont really know much about spark plug wires, but I have a feeling I made a bad decision. lol

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Those are definetly for a v 8. Were they advertised as for the Focus or what ? You can shorten them , but you will need the correct ends, ( probably be easier to shorten them for the coil side ) and you will need the crimping tool. I would say at this point. Prolly cheaper to get a new set. I use the standard set from O Rielly auto parts. Get the set with the life time warranty, and trade em in every year for a new set.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I always buy the cut to fit wires for my hot rods so it is no big deal for me to crimp on ends. A half way decent crimping tool will cost you the price of a 4cyl set of wires. Unless you plan to make up wire regularly i would just go buy a set.

·
Floods suck.
5,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well technically I don't NEED new wires. haha My stock ones work fine. I just came across them, and for $30 shipped I got a set of SVT center caps and these wires. The new ones are red, so I figured they would look neat. I do have a crimping tool. I will see if its big enough to work. Do I just take the ends from the stock set? Then cut the new set to the proper length and crimp them on? Oh, and yes they were advertised for a Focus. Well, it is kind of hard to explain. Here is the thread:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=270696

As you can see it wasnt a normal for sale thread, I came across them because I was trying to help someone else out. lol

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Well, he said they were Ford 8mm wires. Here is the quote
"I have some 8mm Ford motorsport wires for sale you just have to make the connections on both sides. $20 shipped! Fordtec Red in color"

And he was honest. Said you were gonna have to make the connections. On the plug side , they are probably not the correct ends for the Zetec and the coil side prolly not the correct end for our coils. The crimp tool is specifically for spark plug wires. They can`t be reused once crimped. So with out actually seeing them, I would have to guess that only the wires themselves can be used.

Well technically I don't NEED new wires. haha My stock ones work fine. I just came across them, and for $30 shipped I got a set of SVT center caps and these wires. The new ones are red, so I figured they would look neat. I do have a crimping tool. I will see if its big enough to work. Do I just take the ends from the stock set? Then cut the new set to the proper length and crimp them on? Oh, and yes they were advertised for a Focus. Well, it is kind of hard to explain. Here is the thread:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=270696

As you can see it wasnt a normal for sale thread, I came across them because I was trying to help someone else out. lol

·
Floods suck.
5,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I know he was honest, thats why I didnt name this thread "I hate *insert the guys name here*." lol I feel like I see those sort of threads alot. It was my mistake for not seeing the first post. I was just wondering if it was possible to use the connections from the stock end. I emailed him yesterday and he said it is possible. I guess I wont know until I try it for myself!

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
Posted via FF Mobile Regardless that he was telling the truth, it seems he was being misleading just to get a sale. Im sorry but if I was the seller I would of said I have some wires that may work, but they will need modifications and werent specifically made for the ford focus zetec, or a 4 cyl for that matter. I have them for such and such price, but you may be better of and safer to just grab some focus wires, which only are like $40 bucks anyway. From what he said, it sounded like the wires just needed new ends because they were cracked or damaged.

·
Floods suck.
5,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^True. I didn't ask. I was just assuming they were for a Focus since he said for a Zetec. I will eventually try to get these to work. If they dont, I am happy with buying SVT center caps for $30. lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts