Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
For $299 shipped, you'll want Oz Audio Matrix Elite 180CS
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=15332

Read my review on that page as well. I had the top line CDT Eurosport components, and the Oz are much better for a lot less money. The Oz originally retailed over the counter for $650.

As for mounting them in the doors, you'll need to make 1/2" baffle spacers, and sound dampen the doors.

Baffle How-To in the FAQ:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24009

A-pillar Tweeter How-To in FAQ:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38480

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
It is possible.

I am by no means a professional, or a carpenter...
and by my 4th or 5th attempt of making an MDF baffle spacer,
I was able to have 2-3 of the screws mount into the door, with a few screws
for the driver.

Yes, I admit that my shotty wood skillz made the speakers sound like crap after a medium sound level.

Thank god for eDead sound deadening material. I used that to seal up all the gaps and everywhere else on the door panel and it's like 10 times better, with little distortion at high volume level.

I think a Roto-zip makes it 100 times easier. I used a Hole-drilling set like the ones used for household door's. Just drill around in a circle.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FocusInCali: Wow, what a custom job! [thumb] Thanks for the info and links. Hmm I'm curious...how many hours should it take a seasoned installer to deaden the doors as well as yours, build & installs spacers/speakers and install tweets in a-pillars?

Foci_Fosho: I doubt I have the skills or tools to do such a "OEM" looking job. But it's great to have the photos to show an installer.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
quick01 said:
FocusInCali: Hmm I'm curious...how many hours should it take a seasoned installer to deaden the doors as well as yours, build & installs spacers/speakers and install tweets in a-pillars?
A good installer could do it in the same day. Rough guess, 6 to 8 hours.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Also, it's not necessary, but I have dampening material on the outer door skin, inner door skin you see, and the back of the door panel as well. I even have deflex pads on the outer door skin behind the woofers to minimize back wave reflections from hitting the cone and causing distortion. Not necessary, but every little bit helps. The main thing is to dampen the inner door skin, and maybe some on the door panel.

Cascade Audio Deflex pad:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FocusInCali: Thx, good info! Wow...you musta' bought that door dampening material by the yard! [;)]

·
Registered
2,331 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FocusInCali: Thanks for the link, I'm printing it now. Do you have to buy it by the roll?

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Contact Rick to make sure, but I'm pretty sure that's the only way BXT comes. It probably keeps the overall costs down. It's worth the extra money to have the extra dampener. Maybe split it with a buddy if you think 1/2 a roll will work, etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts