Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I been giving this lots of thought, so the focus is an amazing car fun to drive just needs more power really. So just like my question says would it be possible? I would really love to go FI but seeing as I'm in Cali it's a PITA cuz then the cop will see the turbo and ic piping and whatever don't feel like going through the hastle. So I was thinking maybe if I got race headers (doubt a cop will be able to tell the duffrence), exhaust with a cat, carb legal cai, aftermarket cams, port and polish the head for more air flow and whatever else can't think of everything obviously a tune at the end. Any way as long as the car is NA I'm sure I can get away with other illegal parts lol I'm sure the cop won't be able to tell what's going on with the engine okay enough blaming you get the point is it possible?? I was thinking maybe if I swapped in the 2.3 st engine it might be possible?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Anything is possible with enough money. But yes 200HP is attainable but it takes a lot of money and parts, regardless of whether its the 2.0 or 2.3

·
Registered
770 Posts
200bhp isn't too hard..but if ur talkin about whp then it takes some worrrrrk. Check out the dyno thread to see what it takes to reach ur goal.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yes it's possible, header, tune, intake, cat delete...that right there should put you around 185-190...not at the wheels though! Ohhh and some nos! lmao

·
Registered
770 Posts
^^i have those mods and I don't think I'm making that yet on my 2.3. Maybe with cams u would be @ 185-190.

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
Don't forget some High Comp Pistons!

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
The cost is about the same, the only difference is that you won't be able to add more power like you would with a proper turbo.

You'll need:
hi-comp pistons
high lift camshafts
high flow cylinder head
header
exhaust system
a good tuner

You might also need, but maybe not: a high flow intake manifold like the Cosworth or the Cossie copy.

·
Flipping Rockstar
16,788 Posts
Yes it's possible, header, tune, intake, cat delete...that right there should put you around 185-190...not at the wheels though! Ohhh and some nos! lmao
Minus the tune, I have all of that and I'd be surprised if I'm putting 175 to the crank. A tune will not make up that difference.

Not saying it's not worth it, but as Alex said, for the same money spent You could be running a turbo, and that'll put You solidly in the 200-225whp range. Keep her dialed in around 8psi and You won't(shouldn't) have undue wear issues, either.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
With that said, is there any way to get a turbo past California emissions?

It is possible with a good size investment to put down 200+ BHP, but the WHP is tougher. You'd need a full rebuild with lighter rods, high compression pistons, cams, valves, a better flowing head, full exhaust, heat sheilded intake, ported intake, better throttle body, and a tune. Even with all that it looks like a lot of guys are bogging down at 160-170 at the wheels.

·
NeedsMoarEverything
11,409 Posts
The cost is about the same, the only difference is that you won't be able to add more power like you would with a proper turbo.

You'll need:
hi-comp pistons
high lift camshafts
high flow cylinder head
header
exhaust system
a good tuner

You might also need, but maybe not: a high flow intake manifold like the Cosworth or the Cossie copy.

You don't need the high flow head, or different pistons to hit 200whp with a 2.3. Look at they dyno thread.

I know people making 180whp with intake, header, exhaust and cams, and they aren't even tuned for the cams. Some motors mod better than others, but there are people making 200whp on stock pistons/head (with cams).

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
You don't need the high flow head, or different pistons to hit 200whp with a 2.3. Look at they dyno thread.

I know people making 180whp with intake, header, exhaust and cams, and they aren't even tuned for the cams. Some motors mod better than others, but there are people making 200whp on stock pistons/head (with cams).
He doesn't have the 2.3 in yet, though. That would be an engine swap.

·
FF Affiliate
31,087 Posts
Minus the tune, I have all of that and I'd be surprised if I'm putting 175 to the crank. A tune will not make up that difference.
If you have the mods you say you do I 100% guarantee you a tune would make more power then no tune and make your engine safer , You would be shocked at the amount of spk knock you get with those mods and with the ks pulling more then whats needed to stop the knock your loosing power from not being tuned let alone what your AF is doing , your not safe and your loosing performance

Tom

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have intake,header exhaust and a tune and making 150whp and 153tq. Thats on a 2.0. You have the same goal i do. Im getting the 2.3 early next year. Im thinking you will a 2.3 with the list above and probley cams to get close. A tune gave me around an extra 25whp. I have the dyno sheet on my profile. Good luck...

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the replys guys. I know a turbo is the fastest easiest way to make that kind of power but living in California it's a little risky. I would love nothing more than to slap on a turbo but if I get pulled over the cop will see the turbo atleast with NA all they will really see is the exhaust and intake and intake manifold. Maybe I'm wrong but I feel like I can get away with a bunch of lies if I stay NA lol.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Emmission Cop's?

Thanks for all the replys guys. I know a turbo is the fastest easiest way to make that kind of power but living in California it's a little risky. I would love nothing more than to slap on a turbo but if I get pulled over the cop will see the turbo atleast with NA all they will really see is the exhaust and intake and intake manifold. Maybe I'm wrong but I feel like I can get away with a bunch of lies if I stay NA lol.
So let me get this straight, you get pulled over by a cop for say, speeding 10 over, he is going to check your motor? Turbo charged has a quieter exhaust note, compared to a n/a motor. In Calif. don't they just check for code's on '96+ car's, via the OBD2 ?

·
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST
15,097 Posts
If you have the mods you say you do I 100% guarantee you a tune would make more power then no tune and make your engine safer , You would be shocked at the amount of spk knock you get with those mods and with the ks pulling more then whats needed to stop the knock your loosing power from not being tuned let alone what your AF is doing , your not safe and your loosing performance

Tom
Could be a reason that Jason, didn't really pull as hard on the SVT vs ST race ..... maybe ?? [???:)]

-Ray-

1 - 20 of 33 Posts