Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Titanium, with the color change pallet button on the roof console (sunroof and inside led on/off switch.) Has anyone tried or know if you can wire an underbody neon/led kit to the same circuit as the interior lights? I.E the color of the inside accent lights are the same as the underbody lights?[???:)]

·
Registered
317 Posts
I was wondering about this the other day. I want to wire up the back seats and doors at a minimum, and was curious about going under the car. My thought would be that you will need to wire in a power source from elsewhere so you don't overload any existing components, then use the color selector from the controller. I'd also like to put another button in the control panel to turn them on and off.

·
Registered
650 Posts
If it could be done it would have to be LED lights. Interesting idea though. LEDs a extremely low power. I wonder if you can just tap in to it.

·
Registered
317 Posts
If it could be done it would have to be LED lights. Interesting idea though. LEDs a extremely low power. I wonder if you can just tap in to it.
I'd be careful making the assumption that it will be fine to tap into the existing power source. LEDs are low power, but to be able to light the bottom of the car you can easily use 10x the number of LEDs. This is (obviously) 10x more power draw than the system was designed for. I don't know of many circumstances where anything is designed to be able to handle more than a few times the intended demand.

·
Registered
650 Posts
That Is why I said I "wonder" Do you know what the power draw is for the existing LEDs? I read in here that people tapped into the front to have them in the rear somewhere. Though they used factory LED modules.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
The fuse where LED are can support another 2-3 AMP before getting too hot.

Just buy the OEM LED assembly (footwell) and unweld the LED. Weld a connector in place and attach your LED stripe to it. The chip should work in theory because it's hardware/software driven.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Intestine ideas. My thought was that there may have been a control wire somewhere that tells the system what color to show. I was going to have it powered externally and hoping to just slice into the control wire to control the led box under the car.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Intestine ideas. My thought was that there may have been a control wire somewhere that tells the system what color to show. I was going to have it powered externally and hoping to just slice into the control wire to control the led box under the car.
Yes, there's a neutral cable along with +12V and -12V. However, your LED stripe must understand what car is telling it to do...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts