Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know the 2008 Focus comes with 5w-20 engine oil. Would it be ok to go to 5w-30?
MY local store have royal purple but only in 5w-30. Would this be ok to use?

Rep given for help.
Thanks

·
Registered
77 Posts
Well...

It probably wouldn't hurt... But, let me pass on a little info...

I just retired (traded-in) a 2001 Focus LX with 362,718 miles... The only oil I used was Motorcraft 5w20 semi-synth and Motorcraft filters (purchased at Walmart) and changed them every 5000 miles..

Max engine oil consumption when purchased thru when it was retired, less than a 1/4 quart every 5000 miles.... And it still runs strong.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Multi-weight oils (such as 10W-30) are a new invention made possible by adding polymers to oil. The polymers allow the oil to have different weights at different temperatures. The first number indicates the viscosity of the oil at a cold temperature, while the second number indicates the viscosity at operating temperature.
At cold temperatures, the polymers are coiled up and allow the oil to flow as their low numbers indicate. As the oil warms up, the polymers begin to unwind into long chains that prevent the oil from thinning as much as it normally would. The result is that at 100 degrees C, the oil has thinned only as much as the higher viscosity number indicates. Another way of looking at multi-vis oils is to think of a 5W-30 as a 5 weight oil that will not thin more than a 30 weight would when hot.
So in essence your running a thinner oil when the car warms up.

Someone may be able to answer that question for you here, but I bet a brand new 08 focus came with an Owners manual that will tell you oil specifications and probably give you variations based on operating temperature.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
captcomputer, this new invention you speak of has been around for 50 plus years.

jholso, I would stick with a 5w-20 oil until you get some mileage on it. But it probably won't hurt anything if you go to a 5w-30. I actually use a 0w-20 in my 08.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright, well I have 13,500 miles on it but what Im getting from everyone is I should probably not do it. So instead which brand of oil should I put in?
Thanks for everyones input.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Alright, well I have 13,500 miles on it but what Im getting from everyone is I should probably not do it. So instead which brand of oil should I put in?
Thanks for everyones input.
See post #2.... I say Motorcraft 5w20 and a Motorcraft filter.. That's what is spec'ed.. Besides 362,718 on a Focus using what's recommended, tells me I don't need to put anything other than Motorcraft products in it...

Total cost for an oil change $12.00 using Motorcraft stuff purchased at walmart... Total time to do an oil change, less than 20 minutes... Doing it yourself at a good price, using OEM products, PRICE LESS!

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
^ Agreed ^

You can't go wrong with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts