Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I use the DCT in manual mode, I find it often skips 3rd gear if I wind it out in 2nd. It ends up in a boggy 4th. Is this a normal function of the transmission? Would a flash take care of this?

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
If I use the DCT in manual mode, I find it often skips 3rd gear if I wind it out in 2nd. It ends up in a boggy 4th. Is this a normal function of the transmission? Would a flash take care of this?
Yeah, I think it's normal. if you wind it out too far, it's going to shift automatically into 3rd. If you press the button at the same time, it will shift for you, then shift again because you wanted it to. Has happened to me a few times.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Yeah, I think it's normal. if you wind it out too far, it's going to shift automatically into 3rd. If you press the button at the same time, it will shift for you, then shift again because you wanted it to. Has happened to me a few times.
It happens to me too, actually.

No, it's not... Good luck! Plenty of complaints on this site (and all around the net) about it
You are a freaking fool Cun, read SilverPony's post. The read it again. Maybe a third time. Then figure out that not every DCT has issues. Then maybe, you won't look like a fool, man.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Sometimes I think it's me bumping the button accidentally.

If you really wind it out in 2nd close to 6.5k RPM, yeah - it'll shift to 3rd for you, that's likely what you're experiencing.

When I shift it into sport mode, it doesn't always downshift, so then when I press the gas and downshift to enter manumatic mode, it downshifts twice.

A similar thing happens when accelerating, there's a bit of a delay in sport (before entering manumatic) and the TCM says "Shift!" right as I press the button and I end up double-up shifting. I still like the car, I just wish there were a way to enter the manual mode without having to press up or down.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Sometimes I think it's me bumping the button accidentally.

If you really wind it out in 2nd close to 6.5k RPM, yeah - it'll shift to 3rd for you, that's likely what you're experiencing.

When I shift it into sport mode, it doesn't always downshift, so then when I press the gas and downshift to enter manumatic mode, it downshifts twice.

A similar thing happens when accelerating, there's a bit of a delay in sport (before entering manumatic) and the TCM says "Shift!" right as I press the button and I end up double-up shifting. I still like the car, I just wish there were a way to enter the manual mode without having to press up or down.
A tune will fix that for you, I noticed that the DCT shifts wayyyyy faster with the tune. Still a lag but not as bad.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
A tune will fix that for you, I noticed that the DCT shifts wayyyyy faster with the tune. Still a lag but not as bad.
Maybe in 2 years after my warranty expires. [wiggle]

·
Registered
472 Posts
No, it's not... Good luck! Plenty of complaints on this site (and all around the net) about it
Really can you stop this kinda stuff. You may be frustrated, angry, etc. Who can blame you if your car is acting up but this kind of post isnt helping anyone.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Maybe in 2 years after my warranty expires. [wiggle]
If you're already in either in neutral heading for first (from a stop), or in 6th gear hold the up part of the toggle switch while shifting into S to lock the car into 1st or 6th rather than letting it drop to 5th and then having to shift back uo to enter manual mode.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
If you're already in either in neutral heading for first (from a stop), or in 6th gear hold the up part of the toggle switch while shifting into S to lock the car into 1st or 6th rather than letting it drop to 5th and then having to shift back uo to enter manual mode.
Yeah, that's usually what I try to do.

Also, do you think can you cause any damage leaving it in manual mode and letting it downshift itself as the RPMs drop? I stopped doing this at like 14k miles because I didn't like the noises it made. I try to coast to stops in D (occasionally S) only.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts

Also, do you think can you cause any damage leaving it in manual mode and letting it downshift itself as the RPMs drop? I stopped doing this at like 14k miles because I didn't like the noises it made. I try to coast to stops in D (occasionally S) only.
It shouldn't do anything really, because it still downshifts kinda automatically. I think regardless in Manumatic, D, or S it should be fine.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts

It shouldn't cause any damage as it shifts before the point of lugging the engine on deceleration at the minimal rpm.

When I had my SEL I would run it in manumatic mode a lot and it was usually a bit smoother to let it control the downshifts unless you blipped it right as in a manual.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Little silly, coming from someone with a manual trans. version.

Doesn't look like you read the OP's question further than noticing it was an automatic.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Little silly, coming from someone with a manual trans. version.

Doesn't look like you read the OP's question further than noticing it was an automatic.
For some reason, he seems to think that anyone and everyone with a DCT absolutely needs to trade their car in. He goes around the entire forum doing this. It is starting to get annoying. He was JUST doing it in a different thread, saying that the person (who had no issues with their Focus by the way) made a "smart move" http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=481169

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
It's more than a little annoying, I agree.

He's had ONE minor paint flaw in the metallic color that would have better been left alone. Flaws on the INSIDE of the trunk, under the hood are normal with metallic paint, and you see some with all colors.

Mr. 5 spd., PO'd that a hatch with a 5 spd. 2.0 wasn't avail. in Mexico when he wanted one... Stuck with the car because he's upside down on pymts....

Sympathy is disappearing fast.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
It's more than a little annoying, I agree.

He's had ONE minor paint flaw in the metallic color that would have better been left alone. Flaws on the INSIDE of the trunk, under the hood are normal with metallic paint, and you see some with all colors.

Mr. 5 spd., PO'd that a hatch with a 5 spd. 2.0 wasn't avail. in Mexico when he wanted one... Stuck with the car because he's upside down on pymts....

Sympathy is disappearing fast.
Just paint, srsly? I always see him talking down on the DCT. How the heck would he know how it reacts if he doesn't drive one. I agree, flaws inside the trunk and hood aren't even supposed to be worried about. My sympathy was gone a few threads ago when he kept saying the same thing about the DCT. "Get rid of it" "Good thing you traded it" "You should trade it in" "It needs to be sold" Like really? [?|]

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'd really love to drive a focus that does have the problems to compare it with my experience. Our sales guy made sure we were well educated on how the DCT worked before we took it for a test drive and have experienced the low speed stuttering but once I back off on the throttle a few seconds and throttle with intention, the stuttering subsides. It's software trying to anticipate your next moves.

Also for the record... We have the 6 speed select shift and 5 speed manual and I can outrun the manual every time. :)

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
I'd really love to drive a focus that does have the problems to compare it with my experience. Our sales guy made sure we were well educated on how the DCT worked before we took it for a test drive and have experienced the low speed stuttering but once I back off on the throttle a few seconds and throttle with intention, the stuttering subsides. It's software trying to anticipate your next moves.

Also for the record... We have the 6 speed select shift and 5 speed manual and I can outrun the manual every time. :)
Yeah, when I first drove it, it was an interesting experience. I had two stutters. But after realizing that this transmission likes to be used a bit more aggressively, I did just that. In the 90k miles I've put on it, no issues have arisen.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yeah, when I first drove it, it was an interesting experience. I had two stutters. But after realizing that this transmission likes to be used a bit more aggressively, I did just that. In the 90k miles I've put on it, no issues have arisen.

90k?!?! Soooo excited to hear that!!

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
90k?!?! Soooo excited to hear that!!
Haha yeah bud, and if you read in my signature.....I was the first person to perform a selectshift conversion. Basically I didn't have Selectshift sport mode, and now I do haha

1 - 20 of 36 Posts