Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is the 3rd time in about a year that my 2005 Focus Zx4 has simply decided to not start. The 1st time was on the coldest day of the year around -20 last winder and it would not turn over. I took my trustee 2002 Taurus to work instead and came home and it turned over no problem.
Next was time was in the summer because I remember it being hot, again it simply would not turn over all the way. So I tried for about 10 min and decided to call road side, once I finally got a hold of someone I decided to try it once more. Poof! like magic it fires right up like I had just been imagining it.
3rd... and what may be the final time was this morning a very damp and dreary morning. Same thing simply will not turn over, took the Taurus to work got home still no go (its still wet and raining).
My assumption is that on the 1st time it was just to damn cold, 2nd time it was having a temper tantrum and this time I'm assuming it just got too wet....
Just to be clear this is not a battery issue I have full battery power lights aux ect. Is there something other than my starter that could cause this?
Also why is this so cheap
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-STARTER...:Ford|Model:Focus&hash=item1e7eea47f6&vxp=mtr
Should I trust it?

·
Registered
33 Posts
the battery could still be low on charge even if the lights etc come on. the car needs at least 12 v to start. charge the battery overnight if possible, clean the battery cables and fender grounds, and the next time it doesnt start, whack the starter a few times with a hockeystick/broom handle. if it starts, starter is dying.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Did the starter do anything, or nothing at all?

Click sound of a solenoid, Bendix engage flexplate but not turn the motor, obvious amp draw while trying to crank it?

·
Registered
33 Posts
yeah my bad, you should be able to hear the starter turning. it will make a fast tapping / clicking sound. I got one more start out of one on the taurus by showing it who was boss one time, lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did the starter do anything, or nothing at all?

Click sound of a solenoid, Bendix engage flexplate but not turn the motor, obvious amp draw while trying to crank it?
Totally lost you after click sound... I have 0 car skills... all I can say is it will just try to start like ru ru ru ru ru ru ru.... I mean the engine is trying to start it just wont turn over all the way.
Its not the fast empty clicking sound you get some times with a dead or all most dead battery.

Edit: Just went outside an shot a quick video gotta listen closely for the "ru ru ru ru" sound can hear it a little better the 2nd time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hujlp7j8MQc&list=UUnOQIuhjCt7mwoP_nQtJGsQ

·
Registered
33 Posts
sounds like the starter is trying as its cranking. you could try putting it in clear flood mode, by holding the gas pedal all the when down when starting. my father had an intermittent start with his 05 focus a couple years ago. turned out to be the battery cables.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sounds like the starter is trying as its cranking. you could try putting it in clear flood mode, by holding the gas pedal all the when down when starting. my father had an intermittent start with his 05 focus a couple years ago. turned out to be the battery cables.
Ok I will check the cables and try the gas pedal thing in the morning before work. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Your starter and the associated electrical is fine if based on what I saw and heard. The starter motor's job is to make the engine spin, it is doing that just fine in the video.

Your engine doesn't want to start for some other reason.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok so this morning I hop in and try to start it, but now it still trying but its audibly weaker. So I say F it and grab the taurus and try to jump it, I hop back in with no hope of this working. Turn the key its trying at full power now I you can really hear it and all of a sudden it fires up all the way. Fast forward 10 mile trip and two 3-5 min stops with the car left running I finally make it to work. I turn it off wait about 5 seconds and try to turn it back with full hopes this issue was just a fluke. Nope..... it fired right up for about 3 seconds and stalls out. Each time I try again the attempts sound weaker and weaker until I finally get back to the standard "ru ru ru ru ru ru".
So.... even though everything powers on could it be the battery cables like someone mentioned above... please help I'm at my witts end with this car. I am susposed to be bringing it to a friends tonight to install 2 motor mounts... and now this shit :(

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any more advice?

I am going to be getting a jump when I leave work to get this POS started and directly to the parts store. I plan on replacing everything about the cables to cover all my bases, cables, heads, connectors ect. However if someone could give me somthing to look for or tell tale signs that it is indeed my cables that would be great. I mean replacing everything should only run me $20-30 but money is money. Again an other advice other than its probably my battery cables would be appreciated!

·
Registered
17,511 Posts
Lack of knowledge is what is wrong with the car. You keep killing the battery and thinking a jump fixes it. It takes like 8 hours to charge a battery fully with the alt and you may even have killed alt doing so, and common. Changing everything to do with the cables is not going to touch any battery issues you have....................

'Just to be clear this is not a battery issue I have full battery power lights aux ect.'

Pretty funny, refer back to my first sentence. Battery fact-if you rate the amount of power different things use the indicators 1%, radio 2%, lights maybe 30%, starter 95%, etc. Meaning all other LOW load things will commonly make battery appear good to the uninformed. It still won't start as starting is the only truly huge load batteries face. You're not the only one that thinks this and a BIG mistake. Rating battery condition by what other things seem to work is, well, the word that fits best there is unintelligent, no insult intended there of course. Batteries are severely stressed in both cold AND hot, we changed as many or more during the hot months of summer as we did on the zero degree days.

You may well have cable issues BUT have the auto store FULLY charge and LOADTEST the battery as well and you may well be able to put all this behind you................the best cables in the universe are not going to fix a low battery.

And, rating a car as 'trustee' or not based on the battery alone? Just wait till that one lets you down, they ALL do eventually.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yeah definitely get a proper battery test done. I'm sure the parts store will do it for free, most seem to. Their battery testers are just a quick simple test though, and may give a false pass or fail on a marginal battery, but for the most part are okay. A gas engine AVR test (starting/charging system) is probably a half hour labour at a shop and will be a lot cheaper than guessing at this point. The simplest and most common no start issues would be worn battery, or dirty battery connections. These are both very hard on your alternator as well. Hard to really hear the cranking in your video, hard to say if its slow or not. As others have said, having sound/lights means doesn't mean the battery is any good. If you have a DVOM or volt meter, check DC volts across the battery posts while cranking the engine. Battery voltage should not drop below 9.6V while cranking.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well guys it's not the battery I had to get it towed to a parts place they installed a brand new battery. they then tested my old battery which came out good so they tried their code reader and it said my fuel pump was offline. they said it could either be a modulator or the fuel pump itself both which run about 130 a piece. like I said before I'm at my wits end by this car I just seems like it's 1 thing after another if you imagine I was excited on a focus at one point in time. so I'm just chilling here in my freezing car waiting for the tow truck to tow me away once again.

·
Registered
17,511 Posts
Go with bad pump, the 'modulator' rarely fails.............one of the first things you should be learning by now with a Ford is to always shut planet earth out, get quiet and turn on key, you should be able to hear the pump spin up for about 2 seconds and then stop. Not doing so can cost you............well...............you tell us. You should always be able to hear that pump spin up. Always. More test. Easy.

Same applies to the Taurus, it'll save you big bucks someday.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts