Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got 2 12" MTX Terminators(in a ported box) and a 500w amp that I want to put in my 05(stock 6 disc cd changer/player). I know I need to buy the wiring kit, but I don't even know where to begin on installing this stuff...... Is there a guide or something that is easy to follow? Any pointers that you guys can give would be greatly appreciated as well.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Hey man... well honestly it isnt hard at all... with that being said I say that after feeling confident I watched someone install a headunit, helping someone install my head unit, installing subs and an amp in a lancer, installing a head unit, subs, and amp in a sti, and working with my boy on his s-10..

The headunits are the hard part they look scary... wiring up the amp and subs is pretty easy there should be a guide with the amp and sub and even with the wiring kit maybe (its late I am dead I dont remember) As long as you understand positive and negative, can read and understand a diagram, and are smart enough to undo the battey you should be fine. Get a friend to help you just to double check your work, and you might wana get some extra fuses or be ready to get fuses.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The subs and amp is used, so I don't have a guide..... Maybe the wiring kit will have one. I have a friend that knows how, but he's hardly ever available with work/school......

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
you'll need a line output converter i believe, or else you would have to splice the wires.

either way you will have to:
run a power wire from your battery to your amp
run a ground wire from somewhere on your cars chassis to the amp
run rca's from the LOC to your amp

what is the power rating on your amp? and are your subs DVC? and what are the voices coils rated at?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Slayer forgot to mention run remote wire from your headunit or you can run a wire from your battery to a switch then from the switch to the amp. But itz not hard at all. if you get a new wiring harness itz a breeze

·
Registered
571 Posts
I just did almost the same thing, but I added component speakers as well on my '06. It wasnt terrible, but it was time consuming. Sticking with the factory head unit complicates things a little, but once I got it figured out, it was pretty simple.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18505

and

http://www.geocities.com/kellykeeton/2005/interior/electrical/common.htm

were huge helps when I did it.

I got an NE-774V LOC from http://autosound2000.com/adaptor_products.htm, great product. Perfect for sticking with the stock head unit. One thing to keep in mind, since you probably dont have the sub output on that head unit, youll either need to splice into the rear speaker wires (after the LOC), or disconnect them entirely and just run fronts, which is what I did.

The hardest thing for me was running the power cable from the battery back to the trunk. Drilling the hole through the firewall was a pain in the ass because of all the crap in the engine bay. I ended up drilling through behind the pedals, close to where the steering column goes through the firewall, then running the wire down the side under the carpeting. I ran all the other wires down the other side of the car to keep things kosher.

When you get youre amp install kit, get one thats got a fused 4ga power wire.

Feel free to IM me if you have any questions about my install.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.