Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious from those that have a titanium with the handling package if they feel the handling package was a good decision. Haven't been able to test drive one equipped that way.
Trying to decide between a loaded SEL or Titanium.
Appreciate any feedback.

·
Sonic's MK3 Crew #14
2,026 Posts
I drove the Titanium with the handling package and the SEL and didn't notice any major differences in the handling at all, so I saved some money and got the fully loaded SEL. Then used some of that money and bought the H&R spring kit and some 18's and I couldn't be happier

·
Registered
49 Posts
iked focuses for their handlingbut was unable to test drive one[unsure] lolz but im preety sure ill be happy once i get to it lolz im in japan right now and bought it without a test drive ha o well whats done is done right[screwy] But yeah im preety sure ill be happy plus i got the manual. from what i know is that the titaniums suspension is a little bit tighter but most people who dont push their cars won't notice a big difference. Unfortunately because im out of the country i was't able to test drive any but I highly suggest you do it's killing me that i did'nt lolz

·
Registered
364 Posts
i like the way my titanium handles. didn't get a chance to test drive others as i liked driving the titanium so much.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I avoided it because the full size spare robs something like three inches of space from the hatch area.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Appreciate the feedback... thinking SEL 303A and do my own wheels/tires down the road.
And I don't love the 18" wheels in the package as well.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I was not impressed by the handling package because it adds :
- stiffer ride
- larger turning radius
- expensive 18" wheels

I decided to go with a SEL because all from above.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Just curious from those that have a titanium with the handling package if they feel the handling package was a good decision. Haven't been able to test drive one equipped that way.
Trying to decide between a loaded SEL or Titanium.
Appreciate any feedback.
Titanium is the way to go, more options are standard. We did not get the handeling package for a softer ride and the handeling is GREAT! We got the 17" polished alloy rims, the 17" tires last longer are multi use summer and winter. The 18" tires on handeling package are soft and summer only. You will be lucky to get 20 K from them.

Be sure to get the winter package with the leather heated seats and the exterior trim!

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Let's not start a SEL vs Titanium war because it is not necessary. Both are great. Running a Ford on Germany/Italy highways/roads, the Titanium with the handling pack would be the best bet, but running a Ford on whatever NA (North America) roads, SEL is the perfect fit IMO.
The OP wanted an opinion on the handling package, give him one if you tested anything else than Titanium. If not, don't sell Ford as being a BMW because it is not. Not even close ! My 0.02

P.S. I did test both models and SEL was the one I chose. The OP should test both and choose for himself the one that fits his needs.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
- expensive 18" wheels
$595 is expensive? That's wheels, tires, and the "different" suspension. Must have been too expensive for your bank. When I got 17" OZ wheels and a nice set of Bridgestone's (for my old '01) that price came out to $1400. So nice wheels and tires (+suspension) for $595 is better than anything + that. But to each his own I guess. [:)]. A fully loaded SEL would have been the same price for the Titanium I got. So, Titanium for me; (but also had A-plan). Happy driving. Either way, you will be extremely happy with whichever you get [driving]

·
Registered
364 Posts
think about it like this:

if you're planning on upgrading something yourself, DO NOT add that as an upgrade for the vehicle. why get the loaded model if you want to do your own suspension down the line? why get the 18's when you want different wheels?

i wanted a car which i could drive and not really have to worry about upgrading (that much) anymore. of course i wanna do some things here and there, but it won't involve what's already upgraded on my car. [cheers]

·
Registered
166 Posts
Let's not start a SEL vs Titanium war because it is not necessary. Both are great. Running a Ford on Germany/Italy highways/roads, the Titanium with the handling pack would be the best bet, but running a Ford on whatever NA (North America) roads, SEL is the perfect fit IMO.
The OP wanted an opinion on the handling package, give him one if you tested anything else than Titanium. If not, don't sell Ford as being a BMW because it is not. Not even close ! My 0.02

P.S. I did test both models and SEL was the one I chose. The OP should test both and choose for himself the one that fits his needs.
Have you ever even drove a bimmer? How does saying" it handles very close to my 328i bmw" trying to compare the entire make and model?? My 0.02[shhh]

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
@wilsonfocus86

You do know that Montreal is not in US, right ?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Have you ever even drove a bimmer? How does saying" it handles very close to my 328i bmw" trying to compare the entire make and model?? My 0.02[shhh]
I drove some BMW. They were all rear wheel drive cars.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the feedback.. not meaning to start an SEL vs. Titanium cage match. I currently drive a 2009 BMW M3 (that I love) but needing a weekday commuter car with my new job. $495 for 18" wheels and a tighter suspension sounded extremely reasonable to me. But the way the SEL handled with the 17" wheels, I didn't know if it needed much more, and if the handling package may make the ride too stiff for 80 miles a day.
Anywho... I've got a few weeks to make up my mind.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Like our OEM 17'' polished alloy rims and wheels. They stay clean are easy to clean and look good. We have has several complements on them asking are they availabel after market.

Another thought, If by chance one is dammaged a replecement will be easy to find at a decient price.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I ordered mine with the handling package. The other wheels looked like a PITA to keep clean. I like a tight, stiff ride, too.

It is really a subjective question, though. It was worth it to me. I don't enjoy working on suspension components anymore and I figured factory parts would be better tested than H&R or Eibach, this being the first year of production and all.

·
Registered
28 Posts
We considered a titanium with the handling package. I really liked the look of the 18's, and the tighter suspension.

But the handling package comes equipped with summer tires. In my experience, summer tires are terrible in snow and ice, or even just very cold temperatures...

Buying a new car and right off the bat having to get a 2nd set of wheels and tires to handle the winter weather, no thanks.

If we lived in a warmer climate, we definately would have opted for the handling package.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts