Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

that steering wheel...all those buttons, UPON buttons, upon buttons! that huge MFT screen. ugh. I could never see myself relaxing in this itnerior...its simply so garish. Ford dropped the ball, sadly.yes I realize this pic is the pre-production model, but we know all the electronic gizmos will be standard, so just look at the upper trim level's interiors....

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also please note the redundant climate controls..on MFT screen and the lower center console. who thought that was a good idea???

·
BACON?
3,170 Posts
Everybody want their automatic, touch screen, noise making, with blinking lights and as many driver distractions as possible. The whole dash shape is UGLY, IMO. I would have liked to see the ST come out as more of a race stripper, crank windows, manual temp control, and a base radio, less crap = go fast. I am surely not going to purchase any new cars in the foreseeable future. Maybe i am just becoming a bitter old [:)][:)][:)][:)](i'm 21), but i don't like any new cars that much. I used to love the newest cars, now i am more interested in a 1980's saab then a 2011 anything.

·
@redwoodone
9,432 Posts
I actually love the ST interior. The only thing I can see that would be a problem for ME personally, is all those lights on while driving at night. It would be distracting as hell. The light from my headunit is too much at times. Lol.

The only light I want on ALL the time while night driving are my headlights. I don't even want the speedo on. Imo, the only light from a speedo should be the exact number your speed is at. I don't care about all those other speeds that I'm not going. Lolz.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
No qualms here. It looks like a lot of tech, but actually sitting in it an using it, you're not going to notice it until you need to use it.

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
I like the look of the interior. I have a problem with being forced to buy all the technology that I would never use, but I like the design of it all. However, if I had the choice, I would definitively go with a simpler interior for the lower cost and ease of use.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Im sure once you figure out how to use all of that stuff it will be great. I have no problem with it

·
Registered
489 Posts
There are a LOT less buttons then on a 2nd Gen -

·
Registered
416 Posts
it's no different than what you get in the titanium..
That's what I was thinking....looks exactly the same as my car's steering wheel, MFT, and other tech. I love all the technology while cruising down the highway, especially when things get boring, but it all grey's out when the sportiness comes out and I'm "focusing" on taking the curve.

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
I dont like that many buttons and techy stuff. There are a lot of ticking time bombs that will go off and break. I could just imagine whne TG;UK gets ahold of it and their review WILL NOT be pleasent.

·
Titular Wit Here
5,205 Posts
To me the evolution of digital technology and the generations of children raised on video games meant the two would eventually converge in things like cars. A car with no fancy electronic stuff is 'boring' because there is 'nothing to do' in it. Granted, this generation of Focus seems to be popular with older people, but I don't think that was necessarily the demographic Ford had in mind when designing the interior.

I agree that BMW used to have interiors all figured out -- simple, clean, driver oriented, (except for all the tiny buttons on the radio/climate control) -- then they succumbed to the future as well with iDrive and a dash that is no longer slanted towards the driver. [hihi]

·
NeedsMoarEverything
11,409 Posts
Go drive a BMW or Audi performance car now. Their manuals are novels to teach you how to do everything. 20 settings for the diff, really?

·
Registered
425 Posts
I see nothing wrong with it. It's not much different than my Ti's cockpit. I love all the buttons and gadgets, that's a reason why I bought it.

Sure, some are redundant, but eventually you learn your 'groove' with the car, some buttons you will use, others you won't.
ie, I find that I prefer using the redundant climate control knobs and buttons instead of the touchscreen control, I'll use the volume knob instead of the steering wheel control to make my song louder or quieter, but I'll use the steering wheel button to change songs.. etc :p

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
I'm glad sombody finally brought this up. I hate that interior too. Actually, I hate the 2012 focus interior in general. It looks like a 10 year olds hot Wheels toy.
Its complete overkill, with all the sharp angles, contours and generally obnoxious lines. the "popular" buttons, tv screens, noises and lights could all have been simplified if Ford REALLY wanted to. Ford did this on purpose to make the car look futuristic and hip, while displaying all of their "features" in the most flamboyant way they could because its a selling point.

I hate it, you hate it, and a lot of people will probably hate it. Unfortunatly the people who like things determine what sells, and more people probably like it than hate it. I'm hoping this is a fad, but I fear that it's not :(
We may just have to get used to driving headaches lol

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I dont like that many buttons and techy stuff. There are a lot of ticking time bombs that will go off and break. I could just imagine whne TG;UK gets ahold of it and their review WILL NOT be pleasent.
Jeremy was actually in favor of the RS over other hot hatches because it was good as a daily driver, thanks to things like it's touch controls, radio, etc.
Yes, annoying. Good for racing? No. Good for having some fun on your way to work? Oh hell yes.

Personally, I agree to some point. I'd prefer a more simplistic interior. All I need is a quick way to connect my iPhone, and I'm set.
Unfortunately, even Sync and MFT makes that task more difficult.

Ford paired up with the king of bad user interfaces: Microsoft. The design of the interior? All Ford. But I could forgive it if MFT was incredibly easy to use and reliable.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts