·
RIP 02 SVT 0209
3,944 Posts
sent you a PM

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
There have been LONG discussions....

It SOUNDS good, but when you figure it all out it MIGHT be a tiny gain at high rpm.

Alternator load is controlled by MANY other things than it's operating RPM, and that's a large assumed gain which doesn't exist to an appreciable extent.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
It reduces the parasite drag from the accessories. Frees the motor. This isn't the 1st udp setup I've had, Many v/8's. Doesn't matter if its a 4 or v/8.

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so general consensus is that its not much to write home about? save for a tune then 4-2-1 header?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
so general consensus is that its not much to write home about? save for a tune then 4-2-1 header?
Theres many mods you can do. You don't need to do them all at once. Jump on a svt style header= not the shorty zetec style, intake, cams, tune & udp's. Thats just the engine, add a dogbone & a desent set of motor mounts, a desent suspension setup. Just do your modding in steps & you'll enjoy it & the beneifits.

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
haha i am, slowly but its getting done. i made the mistake of going for a shorty header :/
i dont feel a need to touch the intake yet (have the one piece from the factory & k&n drop in & BBK TB)
cams will have to wait till im out of school
tune is next planned mod
UDP may or may not im teetering on it. if i get it for the right price sure ill hold on to it until i need a belt.
not sure what you mean by dogbone...?
motor mounts, what will that really help?
i like my suspension, ill most likely need dampers in a couple yrs... and still need to get in contact w/ russel or bat inc for rear ss brake lines

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Rear motor mount is the dogbone. It looks similar to one.

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rear motor mount is the dogbone. It looks similar to one.
by the tranny? that one sucked so much to replace... still how do poly motor mounts help? is it just a 1 & done?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
by the tranny? that one sucked so much to replace... still how do poly motor mounts help? is it just a 1 & done?
The dsm is on the left side & is the mount for the trans. The rear mount is the short little one Thats fairey easy to install. The psm is one the passenger side. Just installing the lower mount will make a difference.

·
Super Moderator
9,558 Posts
If you are still debating on the underdrive pulley. Yes, spend that $100 on a very expensive paper weight. The gains (if any) are negligible, so your money is best spent else where.

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you are still debating on the underdrive pulley. Yes, spend that $100 on a very expensive paper weight. The gains (if any) are negligible, so your money is best spent else where.
dude, chill.
im just trying to gather as much info as possible. sailor and FTC both say that there is a tiny bit of power that might come from it. so if i can grab one for the right price ill gamble some small cash. geez

·
FF Affiliate
31,092 Posts
dude, chill.
im just trying to gather as much info as possible. sailor and FTC both say that there is a tiny bit of power that might come from it. so if i can grab one for the right price ill gamble some small cash. geez
Dynos say other wise , how much HP would you need to see from a 100.00 part , how much from a 50.00 part

I have dynoed UDP for years on v10 , v8 , v6 , L6 , L4 and never have I seen a gain in HP worth 10% of the cost of a used UDP

It has always amassed me how people can support the UDP but it comes down to they have never dynoed them and feel with a parasitic loss they know is there that it has to equate to a gain in HP and TQ and I have to agree that the science and theory is there but when a dyno can measure to 1/4 a HP and TQ and it doesnt show it that the gains are so small there not measurable why waste the money

If you go by the company selling the UDP and there claims by going to a light weight Aluminum flywheel and loosing over 12 pounds you should gain 7-10 HP and you see almost nothing from that parasitic loss either and its 30 times more of a loss in weight then a UDP

Your money your call

Tom

·
Super Moderator
9,558 Posts
dude, chill.
Wasn't trying to be snide about it. Just giving you facts. I have had a UDP in the past and it did absolutely nothing to help in HP. That's why I said to save your money and spend it on something that will actually give you more HP per dollar spent.

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the info Tom. Do you by chance know why it doesn't work like that? Or is that on me to google?

All good, just seemed a bit aggressive for someone trying to learn. I doubt I'll pick one up now.

·
Super Moderator
9,558 Posts
Well, I was just speaking from experience on this. And of course it's difficult to convey the way I am stating something through a few words on the screen as well. Most of what you feel from installing one of these is through the "butt dyno", which we all know doesn't matter to a hill of beans lol.

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I was just speaking from experience on this. And of course it's difficult to convey the way I am stating something through a few words on the screen as well. Most of what you feel from installing one of these is through the "butt dyno", which we all know doesn't matter to a hill of beans lol.
haha butt dynos are important. if it doesn't feel right then you got work to do, unless your butt dyno is lying to you via placebo.
feel ya as far as conveying tone of voice through a screen.

·
FF Affiliate
31,092 Posts
There is a story about UDP I have told many times , A customer brought me his car to install the UDP , the manufacturer claimed 11hp , I was swamped and didnt get around to installing them , he returned to pick up his car and I told him that the UDP were in his car and keys in the switch and to come back tomorrow and I would finish him up and he could pay tomorrow
Customer left and returned the next day and was telling me how pleased he was with the gains the UDP gave him and money well spent , I asked him what he was talking about as I popped the trunk and showed him the UDP still sitting in the box and explained to him that I said they were in the car not on the car

Your butt dyno will lie to you BIG TIME

Tom

1 - 20 of 27 Posts