Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'd like to apologize in advance if this is a dumb question.. as I am still fairly new to this..

I was wondering, Is it possible to get a tune without any major performance mods?

My 05 Focus ZX3 with an ATX (currently at 109,000 miles) only has the "Stealth" Cai mod and since I did that, the car is even more peppy than it normally is. I'm just lovin the sound and the extra bit of power... while a very small gain, I still notice it. (It sometimes has this awesome whistle before it shifts to the next gear. I'm not sure if that's a leak though..)

However I wish that the ATX could shift better. Is a tune possible to improve automatic shifting? Or would I have to get more performance mods to improve this. I'm not really a mechanic I can do just enough to get myself by if I need to and I certainly don't have 3,000+ dollars to spend on my ride lol (I wish)
[:D]

·
Registered
353 Posts
Not a dumb question at all. A tune should be your first mod imho as it is the foundation for the rest of the mods you are going to do. You will not only see better driveability/power but also increased MPG. Oh and to add yes, Tom can change shift pressures for better performance iirc.

·
Registered
87 Posts
^ I second that advice. You'll enjoy the tune. Make sure to discuss thermostats with your tuner as having your cooling system clean and working well is important when generating more heat.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^ I second that advice. You'll enjoy the tune. Make sure to discuss thermostats with your tuner as having your cooling system clean and working well is important when generating more heat.
Ah! Glad you mentioned that. I honestly haven't checked the cooling system since I bought the car last year. It seems fine and get to operating temperature pretty quick while I drive, otherwise it idles at around 2k before dropping to normal idle speed when its fully warm. Lol not sure if that's a different thing

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Just a FYI,
If you do go with a cooler thermostat, do get a tune. The Duratec likes to throw a 'cooling system performance' light if it doesn't reach temp soon enough; and the cooler therm is one reason for this.
In the tune Tom can lengthen the time or reduce the temp.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts