Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know my prior Ford car had a fully stainless steel exhaust system.
My question is: is the 2012 Focus all stainless steel?

I ask because i would be less likely to alter it if it is stainless.If it is not stainless i would be far less concerned to throw part of it away.
(I should just go test it with a magnet i guess...The less magnetic, the more stainless....))
The Borla twin tips on another post seems cool. Then the Ford Racing is interesting.
Either of those i would like to add in a stainless, or leave the middle muffler if it is stainless..
Thanks.
I am hot on a stainless system, as my prior one lasted 13 years and still great.

·
Registered
418 Posts
It certainly looks like stainless steel on mine. (Ford says that it is !)
The welding however looks horrible on mine.
Have you looked at the welding on yours ? How does it look.?

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
""Ford says it is"" made me try harder to find Ford saying so. YES. Stainless steel.
Great. thanks.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have not looked at the welds. it is 4AM here. I just stay up late. i will look tomorrow. [sleeping]

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hi, I'd be very suprised if it was stainless and not mild, but if it is then good work Ford..
Chris

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I looked at Ford site, took a little hunting, then i just used the search and typed in Focus stainless steel'And up popped the page with the fact the Focus 2012 muffler system is all stainless steel.
Whoo hoo.
It may not be the level of a Borla, but at least it is better than galvanized.

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
It is not stainless on my SE sport. Did the magnet check on tip, muffler, resonator and pipe leading to resonator. All quite magnetic.

Didn't bother to check the welds, it's an economy car and not seen by anyone, ever....don't really care what they look like.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
It is not stainless on my SE sport. Did the magnet check on tip, muffler, resonator and pipe leading to resonator. All quite magnetic.

Didn't bother to check the welds, it's an economy car and not seen by anyone, ever....don't really care what they look like.
Martensitic stainless is magnetic. They put stainless exhausts on a lot of cars. My wife's 04 Neon came stock with stainless. The only work we've need to do on that exhaust to date is replace a couple hangers.

·
Registered
37 Posts

It is 400 series stainless so it will be magnetic

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Even 300 series stainless (the shiny stuff your dinner wear are made of) will become magnetic if work hardened such as when tubing is bent.

The only thing required for a steel alloy to be called stainless is for it to contain more than 10% chromium and being magnetic or not is not one of the considerations.

Every new car that I have purchased since 85 has had a stainless alloy used in the exhaust. It's they only way they can guarantee the exhaust will last fir the duration of the emissions warranty. Even seeing surface rust on the pipes does not mean that it is not a stainless alloy.

·
Registered
155 Posts
That was one of my must-haves for a new car, here in road salt country. My last car's SS exhaust was like new after 13 winters. Previous cars had to have the exhaust replaced twice in that time.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The funny thing about stuff like cars being made in Germany is none of the factory floor workers are German anymore.
A bunch of news items about Germany having a lack of lower level workers so the allow guest workers from all sorts of other countries to work in factories.
So the quality associated with German production is sometimes lacking.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts