Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I had an alignment done on 6/23/14 and at the time had noticed my 2 front tires' inside tread was going bald while the rest of the tire was fine. I also had the tires rotated and wheels balanced the same day as well. When they were done, they told me one of the wheels was bent but everything else was good. I drove the car for the next 6 months and noticed the other 2 tires' inside tread was going bald as well... so I finally bought some new wheels and tires on 12/4/14 so it hasn't been too long. I took it to a shop that the tire place referred me to to have them just do a visual inspection of everything to see if I need to worry about the insides of my new tires' tread. Obviously, he didn't put it on the alignment rack, so I don't have any numbers from today, but I do have the numbers from the alignment 6 months ago below. The guy I was talking with was telling me about the camber/caster plates for the front, since they are nonadjustable without them, which I learned today. What do you guys think?

nevermind the "SVT" part, it's a ZX3. I also don't know if the suspension is the SVT hardware or not. To me, the car looks a bit lowered.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
That chart doesn't look bad, if you're having wear problems up front look at the bushings for the lower arms. If they're sloppy the angles could change while driving.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I had to put the camber plates on up front, and the camber bolt kit for the rears. Completely cured my abnormal tire wear. But I agree with sailor, your specs from 6 months ago don't look that bad. With that being said, I had mine set for zero camber up front and less than -1 in the rear.

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
I had the same issue here; turned out that both my lower control arms were shot causing movement like Sailor said. Do you here any clunking coming from the front end or is there any abnormal movement in your wheels when you jack up the car?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah there has always been a clunking noise when going slow over a bump or out of my driveway for instance every now and then since I bought it but could never figure out what it was because it seemed completely random. When I've jacked the car up and back down the front susp. seems to stick up, as in not compressing back down and I either just sit on the side of the engine bay or it eventually goes down after a few mins. The guy at the shop yesterday brought me into the garage and I looked at the bushings on the control arms and they did look like they needed replacing. He recommended that I have another alignment and New suspension plus the control arms instead of just the bushings since the New control Arm would come with a new ball joint as well. I'll probably end up doing that at some point...what about the other susp. parts like the tie rods Or any other bushings I'm not aware of, anything else that normally would need to be replaced?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Bushings & ball joint come with the control arm as an assembly, aftermarket joints & bushings aren't worth the labor bill for installation & the bushes are only avail. in Poly for performance anyways.

Suspension being "up" after jacking is normal, the tires need to roll to work outwards against the pavement to their normal position.

There aren't any other critical rubber bushings in front, those for the sway bar don't affect alignment. Tie rod ends aren't an automatic replacement item, and they should be checked while doing the other work along with the sway bar links.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts