Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, newbie here.
i read thru some of the old posts, esp that thread from several weeks ago about ipod compatibility. but i'm still confused. here's the deal; i gots me an 03 zx3 with the factory standard hu and 6 disc changer. now, a friend of mine said he found out that there are 2 outputs (please excuse any bad terminology here... my knowlege of car stereo stuff is not vast). one is for the disc changer and is analog, and that there's another that's digital and it's for if you'd want a changer in the trunk or whatever. he then said that one can buy a converter to convert the signal to analog and therefore plug in the ipod. end product; being able to have the ipod and the disc changer hooked up so i could switch back and forth.

this is silly, i know. but i'm just curious.
is this all utter crap, what's the bottom line for the changer? i have to take it out to play my ipod? can i put in a regular cd player and have my ipod? i'm serioulsy an idiot; i know nothing about wiring diagrams or anything. i just want to know what i'm talking about if i take my car somewhere to get stuff put in or whatever. (or if i *gasp* take this on myself with a friend)

[???:)]

thank you thank you thank you!

·
Registered
32 Posts
From what I've gathered, reading most of the threads here and on other boards, you cannot hook an iPod or any other aux input into the in-dash 6 cd changer. The non-changer units apparently have an input, for a changer I guess, that is disabled on the in-dash changer model. I've got the in-dash changer in my ZX5 and was looking into using an external mp3 player with it.

I think I've finally accepted that I'll need to put in an aftermarket head unit if I want to use an mp3 player. Of course, if anyone has any knowledge to the contrary, let me know :) Most of the other posts are filled with "I think" and "This should work". I'd love to hear "I did this and it worked" or "I did this and it didn't"

·
Registered
969 Posts
I just went through the same ordeal with my iPod. There is a widget called the iTrip that enables your iPod to work with a CD player. The company's web page is www.griffintechnology.com . While it's qua;ity isn't as great as a cassette adapter, it works rather nicely. It works great for me, and cost all of $35 at the Apple store here in Tampa.

- Ian in Tampa
new owner of an 02 ZX3 Pitch Black mtx 23k

·
Registered
400 Posts
Hey Ian!!! Im in tampa 2 bro![thumb]

·
*~*
13,045 Posts
Welcome and like the pic under your name. Pretty cool. Oh yeah, have no idea on that electronic stuff. But someone else here will help, I'm sure. [wave]

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yah, i know all about the itrip and all that. i may just do that, get the itrip, for now. then maybe when the cash flow is better, i'll look into a new head unit. maybe i'm just being greedy; a changer and an ipod is a bit much! ;-)

i also second williamk... anyone know for sure about the blau mp3 hu?

thanks!

·
Registered
39 Posts
yea, i have the itrip and i was pretty dissappointed with it. it is as good as radio quality. when i put one of my burned cd's in the changer, the quality is instantaneously better. bass and treble are so much better. don't get me wrong though, it is fine as an interim gadget, but i too will be getting a new headunit and wiring it to that. btw, i have the in dash 6cd changer. hope it helps. : )

[drinking]

·
Registered
969 Posts
The iTrip is far from perfect, considering that it has contributed to the death of normal battery lifespan on my iPod and all. It was going downhill before the iTrip, now it's just plain sad. Less than two hours of battery life out of it, oh well. I have the warranty replacement from Apple on its way. It's better than some of the other fm transmitters out there, but then again it's almost like saying the second generation Hyundai Accent is better than the first. For now, the iTrip is a liveable convienience, though given the battery situation, I have begun burning cd's for the first time in ages, which isn't too bad on my PowerBook. This will sound horrible, but burning a cd feels so primitive to me. I remember when I was riding with my father in his Escape, and he put a cd that he made in the player, and my first thought was "Dad, 1999 called, it wants its media back". Oh well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts