1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
iPod can kiss my hairy yellow behind.

·
Registered
759 Posts
not a bad looking solution expect it nearly costs as much as a ipod.

·
Registered
94 Posts
How do you really feel?! Seems like a pretty sweet setup to me!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Replace the head unit

I was looking at the HK Drive + Play until I stumbled across the Alpine 9857 head unit with fast link cable... basically the cable plugs right into the back of the head unit from the iPod, granted this is a little more costly, but it looks a lot better (in my opinion) and the sound quality increased dramatically, even with stock speakers! I believe Alpine also has cheaper priced head units than the 9857 that are compatible with the fast link cable for the iPod as well. The cable only costs $30 compared to having to buy a $100 adapter for the iPod just to get it to work with the head unit. Also the search feature is quick and once you get the hang of it it's fairly easy to use. The cable can be placed so that the iPod rests in the glovebox or in the space underneath the head unit in the harness. Unfortunately they wired mine to the space underneath even though I wanted it in the glovebox. Minor inconvenience since now I have to unplug the iPod and stow it away everytime I get out of my vehicle. Plus that reminds me, you can remove the head unit so if your worried about having it stolen, just remove the faceplate and stow it in a secure location, like your pocket if you wear cargo pants or whatever.

All in all if you have the extra cash to spend get an Alpine 9857, I highly recommend it, or any other Alpine head unit that supports the fast link cable. You'll also love the increase in the sound quality as well. I'll be posting pictures this weekend of how the 9857 looks in my dash.

PS - The 9857 retails at $350, cable is $30, and if you have it professionally installed you'll have to pay for that as well.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
i bought a cable at best buy for $10.00 that connectes to the Aux behind my stereo, and plugs into the headphone jack on the ipod, or anything else with a 2.5mm jack. Sound quality is amazing.

·
Registered
237 Posts
yea Ford charges $50 for that little cable, plus installation... $150 bucks unbelievable. I just hated the 6CD Changer the car came with, I tried to find one with just the basics and everything else I wanted in it like side impact air bags, heated seats, etc. but I couldn't find one, so.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Poney said:
i bought a cable at best buy for $10.00 that connectes to the Aux behind my stereo, and plugs into the headphone jack on the ipod, or anything else with a 2.5mm jack. Sound quality is amazing.
Would that solution work on a 2005 Focus with the 6-CD changer?

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
not sure bout a stock stereo. I have a clarion deck with aux inputs

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
Egz said:
iPod can kiss my hairy yellow behind.
AMEN to that! Stay strong brother! Resist the conformity!

DEATH TO IPOD!

·
Registered
178 Posts
haha hey guys just in case your lucky enough to have an aftermarket Hu with an rca input they sell the cable that goes from rca to headphone jack at the .99CENT STORE!!! talk about a sweet deal

·
Registered
11,161 Posts
I got the Alpine HU with the iPod attachment that allows me to control my iPod through the HU. Works great!

·
Registered
11,161 Posts
Speakin of which...I am trying to sell at the moment to upgrade to the newest Alpine HU. $250 for the whole package, it's in the for sale forum if you wanna take a look at it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts