Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I know this has been asked before, but generally the answers are confuing or misguided.

I would like too...

Plug a ipod into the car's stock head unit, the car is a 2005 focus.
I don't really want to go buy a new head unit, the FM and tapedeck methods are totally unacceptable solutions.
I've heard there are wiring harnesses for the head units, but have never seen a company who makes them.

The main reason I want to keep the head unit is because of the steering wheel mounted audio controls that came with the convience package, because they are the best thing since sliced bread. That and there have been alot of breakins for aftermarket car stereo parts in this area. If there is no wiring harness I can get to plug the ipod into the stock headunit, is there at least a aftermarket unit that can utilize the ipod function and steering wheel controls?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just too add to this I have looked at "PIE" but i'm very confused, as too which one, if any would fit the 2005 "MP3" stock head unit

·
Sticker Whore
18,739 Posts
woo any info on this would be great i want to do the same to my 05, keep the stock if possible, run my sub and my i-pod... thanks to anyone who can help

·
Registered
73 Posts
http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piefrd04aux.html

I know you said you looked at the pie one.....but it is going to depend on the factory radio you have now.....is it 6 disc? does it have the AUX button? and does it say MPS on thr front? If so, I would say that the one I posted is the one you need..

in the middle of this page http://www.logjamelectronics.com/info.html there is a number that you can call and talk to someone....and they are helpfull.....

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Much appreciated

But it seems to me like that site is selling the two pieces seperatly

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,891 Posts
Also, it looks like that's just an audio interface to the deck.
So I don't think you can control the iPod with the deck.
It just provides an audio/iPod input.

That's the advantage with an aftermarket deck.

If you get an Alpine or some of the other newer decks that are iPod capable, you just need to buy a $30 cable(DIN to deck and iPod connector) for the deck and that's it. No $100 interface box needed and you can scroll through songs/albums and arists just like you were accessing the iPod using the deck controls.
They also provide a charging pin to the iPod so it doesn't go dead/run out of power.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you click the links on the page you'll see there is a Ipod interface you buy with that piece. And yes it does charge your ipod.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The PIE will be the one i'll buy, once i'm out of college at the end of May.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,891 Posts
"The auxiliary input has a pair of left and right RCA audio inputs located on the interface box. With this converter installed, you can connect any external audio device that has an audio output directly to your factory radio without using an FM modulator and hear the audio through your factory sound system. "

You'll still have to fumble with the iPod to select songs and whatnot.

So, it appears to be audio only. No iPod control signals like aftermarket decks that are iPod capable.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thats fine though, I don't mind using my ipod. And I mentioned at the top of the post that putting in a after market head unit was out of the question.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Algorhythm said:
I'm a total electrical noob.. what's the difference between the 12v switched and 12v constant? Where would you wire each up to? I know ground goes on to the chassis. What about the green?
12v switched power is power that is turned on and off by your ignition switched....

12v constant is power straight from the battery....no switch always on....

the two work hand in hand....the switched power is more of a turn on power.....the constant keeps all you clock and radio setting....

·
Registered
73 Posts
Algorhythm said:
So what about the extended charging defeat?

the 12v switched would go to the fuse box against something like the radio startup, correct?
I've never messed with something that had the charge defeat but I'm sure there would be directions with it to tell you where it would go.....as far as the switched power, you could take a test light and test the wires for the factory radio to find a switched power and just use that.....also, if you do a search on here, you can find a listing of the wires for the factory harness......

·
Registered
461 Posts
zx360: you can run a sub and amp off your factory deck by prchasing a small device which converts speakers wire (high level inputs) to auxilliary (RCA low level) then run that to your amp. all adjustments will be made on the amp of course. try shopping around your local electronics stores for this device, in the car audio section (tip: ask some of the installers at your local best buy or circuit city). depending on which amp you have, you may also be able to run the lines directly in and out to your speakers (on a tri mode amp (allows you to run speakers and subs when wired correctly). hope this helps! - Ryan

·
Registered
26 Posts
What exactly is in the 04 thats so different than the 05-06? Kicking myself that I can not find something for this iPod. If there is no solution for the CD Player that is stock (6006 CD Tuner (Not Audiophile)) could someone please give me some suggestions. Not really big on cars, just big on computers, afterall cars are becoming computers on wheels. So any suggestions would be great.

Best Buy offers a Alpine 50W x 4 iPod™/Satellite Radio-Ready CD Deck with MP3 Playback for $240, http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...CategoryId=pcmcat59100050009&id=1108124880755

Little rich for my blood considering I do not want those Satelite features.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.