Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all,

I originally posted this in the interior section as part of a larger problem, but for some reason it won't let me reply to my old thread. I'm a newbie, so maybe that's why. Anyway, I thought I'd post about it here since it actually does have to do with audio.

I want to be able to listen to my ipod in my car (2002 zx3). There's an adapter for $150 on MP3yourcar.com that allows this. There's also the possibility of spending that amount of money (or less) on an aftermarket headunit.

I've been debating this for a while and would like to get some thoughts on it. I had an aftermarket headunit in my old car and it was stolen. I installed another one, and from then on I removed the faceplate every time I left the car. What a PAIN that was!! So I really don't want to have to go through that again, which is why I thought of getting the adapter instead. Also, with the adapter I can use the radio controls to control my ipod. In addition, a lot of the aftermarket stereos I've found have the aux input in the front, so that means nasty wires hanging down. Yuck. I can do a clean install with the adapter.

So maybe I'm missing a benefit of aftermarket headunits that I'm not thinking about? I know $150 is a crazy amount of money for an adapter, but it really does seem to make sense as far as functionality is concerned. But I could definitely be wrong... feel free to throw some opinions out. I'm definitely not an audiophile so I'm probably not fully aware of all my options.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Ariana

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow, I didn't know they sold headunits that control the ipod straight up. That's pretty cool.

However, if I went this way I would still have to deal with taking the faceplate off every time and having the wires hanging out the front. Is there any way to get around these issues?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Many after-market head units will have an AUX input on the rear of the unit which will allow you to connect an iPod adapter. Depending on the head unit it will allow you to actually control the iPod (for example the Kenwood eXcelon units).

With the input on the back of the head unit, you can run the wire in a way that it is hidden, potentially in the small tray that you will have under the head unit when you install the mounting bracket for after-market head units. This would allow you to plug in your iPod then set it in the tray, controlling the iPod from your head unit.

Taking the face-plate off isn't that big of a deal.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
if you look at the pic its got the aux control on the face plate, so u wouldnt have to remove the faceplate. So if your interested I can get you that Pioneer Headunit shipped to ur house for 135 bucks shipped. Ive got a wholeseller account and im connected with alot of different warehouses so i get things really cheap. Let me know.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
remmargorp>> from what I understand, you can't control the ipod through the AUX input. You have to use the USB port for that. But in any case, the USB ports are on the back so you're right about how that allows for a clean install. Also, you might think that taking the faceplate off is not a big deal, but after doing it several times a day, every day, for years, it's gotten really annoying for me.

Boosta>> Thanks a lot for the offer! That pioneer headunit looks like exactly what I'm looking for. I found it at Best Buy for $130 and it includes the ipod cable, so that might be a little better deal. Either way I'm going to wait for Black Friday to see if they have any good stereo deals (now that I know what I'm looking for). Thanks a lot for that link - I really like that stereo!

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
If I were to buy a new headunit i would get this: http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=300&i=130P8000BT&tp=5684

It got everything Ipod integration, Blutooth(you can make calls and such hands free), SAT radio, USB, AUX and much more. and it looks great and somewhat OEM looking.
You don't have to buy all the stuff like SAT radio, hands free system, Ipod adapter, usb adapter, everything you want is right there in one package. I agree price is on a steep side, but it worth the money and it will be cheaper than buying all the stuff like hands free devices and SAT radio that you will eventually buy anyway.
The only reason I didn't get it yet is because I like my speed volume feature on my 05 HU and I hate blue.

·
Registered
50 Posts
If I were to buy a new headunit i would get this: http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=300&i=130P8000BT&tp=5684

It got everything Ipod integration, Blutooth(you can make calls and such hands free), SAT radio, USB, AUX and much more. and it looks great and somewhat OEM looking.
You don't have to buy all the stuff like SAT radio, hands free system, Ipod adapter, usb adapter, everything you want is right there in one package. I agree price is on a steep side, but it worth the money and it will be cheaper than buying all the stuff like hands free devices and SAT radio that you will eventually buy anyway.
The only reason I didn't get it yet is because I like my speed volume feature on my 05 HU and I hate blue.
That is a nice unit!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bee, that IS a nice unit! But it's $300 and has features I'll never use. I really don't need bluetooth and stuff since I already have a bluetooth headset - so it's a little much for me.

Nick, I saw that too (thanks though!). But you have to buy the cable separately, whereas at best buy they give you the cable for free. I think it still comes out a little cheaper at amazon though.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
wow that price is decent at amazon, i can get that deck cheap but damn 95 bucks w/free shipping, cant beat that, lol. Alot of the stuff i can get is comparable to Amazon, but some they just have more buying power than other people so that get better deals.

CMH ZX3- i will look into that for you.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
CMH ZX3, there are hardly any IPhone compatable headunits, most headunits only work with ipods. Your best bet is to get a Belkin TuneBAse FM unit. It features ClearScan technology, with one push of a button both FM transmitters will automatically seek out the best FM frequency to play the music from your iPhone or iPod. TuneBase FM also conveniently mounts and powers your iPhone or iPod in the car. Heres a link for the cheapest price ive come across and its cheap compared to other places ive looked.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Belkin-Tune...m14&_trkparms=72:570|66:2|65:12|39:2|240:1318

·
Registered
140 Posts
Is that a direct replacement for the 9006?

EDIT: I just saw that it's a double DIN and the 9006 is a 1.8 DIN. Does anyone make a 1.8 DIN aftermarket head unit?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts