Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just doing some market research here. Question to iPhone owners with Sync: Would you jailbreak your iPhone and pay, say, $10 for a jailbreak application that adds Bluetooth Message Access Profile (the software that allows Sync to read your text messages to you)?

·
Registered
198 Posts
I am dead against Jail Breaking or altering the software in any form, but,,,, for texting to be read and sent while driving, sorry Apple your time has come give me what everyone else has or I go elsewhere or jailbreak your OS.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Nah. For me having my txts read or somehow sending txts. Isnt important. Frankly hands on or off its a driving distraction that endangers everyone on the road. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am dead against Jail Breaking or altering the software in any form, but,,,,
Agree wholeheartedly. I've jailbroken several versions of iOS, and usually quickly end up reverting back to the stock OS. Too much of the JB apps out there are just poorly written and end up slowing the phone down. For the purposes of this thread, let's assume you only install this one piece of software and that it is well-written.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hi, I'd get a decent phone instead, oh I already have one and it ain't got fruit label :) Seriously though, if apple can't produce a phone to do the simplest of tasks then I'd avoid it, but if all it needs is a simple, and slightly unethical, upgrade I'd do it. I'm sure there would be a way to access this for free as well.
Chris

·
Registered
781 Posts
i've been jailbroken since day 1. while the feature would be interesting, it's not that important to me to text while driving. so paying $10 for it, no. not interested. it's something apple should be implementing if they want to remain competitive in the smartphone arena.

as for no quality apps, take a look around. plenty of quality apps for jailbroken phones. i've been using intelliscreen for years to make up for apple's lack of information on the lock screen. that alone was worth my jailbreak. MyFi gets me the tethering that should be built into the phone without AT&T gouging me any further. then there are great custom "hacks" like the one that lets me change calendar item colors to what i want them to be.

jailbreaking has far more interesting things than ugly themes. you just have to look for them.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Perhaps I should have noted in the original post that $10 is consistent with other jailbreak applications (BiteSMS, Intelliscreen), which seem to generally cost more due to significantly lower volume than appstore apps. It's also a small price to pay (to an independent developer, no less) compared to other accessories you may have bought with your car (floormats for $150, trunkmat for $75, a net for your trunk for $115...)

Anyway, I was getting into app development to earn a few more bucks to pay off 100k of student loans. I wanted to do something creative, but it sounds like I'm better off in the high volume appstore.

As for the quality of other jailbroken apps... I had Intelliscreen and paid $10 for it. I also had BiteSMS. Both applications had a high level of visual polish, but one or both of them contributed to a noticeable slowdown in phone responsiveness.

·
Registered
781 Posts
hmm. i'm a big bitesms user too. never noticed any problems with it.

no. no one is going to get rich off of jailbreak apps. you want a shot at the big bucks you need to go to the app store.

as for producing a phone that can do the "simplest tasks" there are plenty of phones that don't support bluetooth MAP. it took google how long to produce a decent mp3 player app? [drummer]

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I jailbroke once, never cared to again... I can wait for new iOS releases to get features that jailbroken phones get, like folders. Texting and driving I don't care enough to do if I need to text someone I'll just call them with Sync, easier than texting either way.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I prefer the iPhone too, but it's pointless to get into an Android vs. iPhone debate because there are passionate advocates for both platforms and it always ends up devolving into things like name calling or insulting the intelligence of someone because of which device they prefer.

The bottom line is that Ford is the biggest maker of mobile infotainment systems on the planet.... it would be beneficial for Apple to get on board and make the iPhone more compatible. We will have to see what changes iOS 5 brings, but I believe there are currently some hardware limitations with the platform as well that will limit the functionality in some areas.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I prefer the iPhone too, but it's pointless to get into an Android vs. iPhone debate because there are passionate advocates for both platforms and it always ends up devolving into things like name calling or insulting the intelligence of someone because of which device they prefer.

The bottom line is that Ford is the biggest maker of mobile infotainment systems on the planet.... it would be beneficial for Apple to get on board and make the iPhone more compatible. We will have to see what changes iOS 5 brings, but I believe there are currently some hardware limitations with the platform as well that will limit the functionality in some areas.
Yeah that's why I edited my post. lol. There are some limitations but I still have the mindset that Apple does what they do for a reason. I'm not worried and don't mind waiting, I'm not about to go switching phones because of one or two features.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Apple didn't purposely leave the MAP profile out just to screw with customers, it didn't go official until last year and it probably hasn't been a high priority on their list over things like say, wireless sync, iCloud access and OTA updates. Bluetooth messaging "standards" take years to ratify and even then companies like to put their own spin on them making them hardly standard. Apple's still using Bluetooth 2.1 (as are many manufacturers) and 4.0 is already in the works.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Bluetooth messaging "standards" take years to ratify and even then companies like to put their own spin on them making them hardly standard.
To quote Andrew S. Tanenbaum, renowned Dutch computer scientist and textbook author, "The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them to choose from."

·
Banned
571 Posts
Nope, wouldn't jailbreak my iPhone. Not worth the hassle. Although, it would be nice to get text messages through the MFT while driving. I hate hearing the ding of a new message and not being able to do anything about it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Yeah that's why I edited my post. lol. There are some limitations but I still have the mindset that Apple does what they do for a reason. I'm not worried and don't mind waiting, I'm not about to go switching phones because of one or two features.
They just haven't bothered to spend the resources to implement it. This is rather common for "missing" features. It's not that they weren't planning on it until people got on their case, it's just (at the time) they had limited staffing to work on iOS plus all the other things they need those same developers for (new platforms, Mac OS X, etc). So some things get pushed back to the next major rev. Hopefully this particular feature (more robust Bluetooth feature set) will become a bigger priority to them in the future if enough people bark for it but, given how many iPhones there are running around in the world, the number of Sync systems running around is extremely tiny and that doesn't bode well.

As far iOS 5 goes, I'm running the beta and the MAP profile is nowhere to be found. I don't think they'll be adding any other unannounced features prior to release. :(

I ran jailbroken for years for various reasons. But I don't think I will with iOS 5. It does enough of what I want it to do now that it's just not worth the hassle of waiting for an untethered jailbreak and associated frustrations.

·
Registered
492 Posts
1 - 20 of 34 Posts