Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched the forum, searched youtube, followed the manual and have yet to be successful playing music from my IPhone via Bluetooth or the USB attachment.

Is there some sort of glitch that I have to bypass to get it to work?

I feel like I have followed everything, my phone has the latest update and my car was built on the 16th of this month. I have my phone synced and can receive and send calls.

Any step by step process or video for bluetooth method and step by step for connecting it via USB would be greatly appreciated.

Take care
-Matt

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Hmmm. I was able to make it work when I first got the car (iPhone 4 able to do both streaming Pandora and stuff on the iPod app saved on the flash memory) a couple of weeks ago but have not tried it in a while as my past time has been locked up in getting the voice commands for my iPod to work. I did it through Bluetooth as I've read elsewhere (don't know if it is true or not) that if the phone is hooked up Bluetooth and then connected USB it causes a mess.

I do remember I had to do things in a specific order. Don't remember if it was starting the music first on the phone and then selecting it through the car or vice versa or whatever but there was definitely something. Do you see the phone showing up under the list of available audio devices? I'll go out a little later and try again and let you know what I did.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm. I was able to make it work when I first got the car (iPhone 4 able to do both streaming Pandora and stuff on the iPod app saved on the flash memory) a couple of weeks ago but have not tried it in a while as my past time has been locked up in getting the voice commands for my iPod to work. I did it through Bluetooth as I've read elsewhere (don't know if it is true or not) that if the phone is hooked up Bluetooth and then connected USB it causes a mess.

I do remember I had to do things in a specific order. Don't remember if it was starting the music first on the phone and then selecting it through the car or vice versa or whatever but there was definitely something. Do you see the phone showing up under the list of available audio devices? I'll go out a little later and try again and let you know what I did.
The only thing I notice is that Sync Device highlights or something like that in the menus. I do know that when I click play in the iPod app and it starts to play but there is no sound coming from the phone or the car speakers.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Just to make sure, your phone is paired with Sync and you have selected your phone as the source on the audio screen? If your phone name does not show up in the source list (the next one down after USB) and it says "BT Stereo" tap that and it should try to connect to your phone. If it is successful your phones name should show up there. Tap it again to switch to it (why you have to tap it again I don't know). Those are all the things I had to do. I have an iPhone 4 running iOS 5 beta. in iOS4 the iPhone will not transmit track data (name, artist) over bluetooth but that is enable in iOS 5 which is coming this fall.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just to make sure, your phone is paired with Sync and you have selected your phone as the source on the audio screen? If your phone name does not show up in the source list (the next one down after USB) and it says "BT Stereo" tap that and it should try to connect to your phone. If it is successful your phones name should show up there. Tap it again to switch to it (why you have to tap it again I don't know). Those are all the things I had to do. I have an iPhone 4 running iOS 5 beta. in iOS4 the iPhone will not transmit track data (name, artist) over bluetooth but that is enable in iOS 5 which is coming this fall.
It all works flawlessly now! I signed up at syncmyride.com and did a live chat with a worker there on Sunday! Of all days, they also work on Sunday's! I thought that was great!

I had a glitch in my system so I had to start all over again and followed some simple steps and it worked. I can post the set-up process later if anyone needs them.

·
Registered
524 Posts
It all works flawlessly now! I signed up at syncmyride.com and did a live chat with a worker there on Sunday! Of all days, they also work on Sunday's! I thought that was great!

I had a glitch in my system so I had to start all over again and followed some simple steps and it worked. I can post the set-up process later if anyone needs them.
Please post the steps that got this working for you. This is one area that I haven't even tried out yet.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts

Congrats man. Got to admit, it is pretty cool to take my phone out, start streaming Pandora, throw the phone in my work bag, and listen to music "cable-free" on my drive home.

So you can confirm iOS5 will transmit metadata via Bluetooth gullwingmdc? I had heard rumors it would but up to now have been unable to verify them.

·
Registered
147 Posts
So you can confirm iOS5 will transmit metadata via Bluetooth gullwingmdc? I had heard rumors it would but up to now have been unable to verify them.
Ya it was enabled in a later beta of iOS 5. As long as you are playing something using the iPod app it will send the track title and artist name via bluetooth. So far no luck with 3rd party apps or album art, but its a start!

·
Registered
967 Posts
I actually realized that BT Audio opens up a whole new series of possibilities the other day that I hadn't really considered. I don't have an iPhone, I have android, but the car will come with FM/AM, CD, Sirius and I have a ZuneHD and if that isn't enough I realized I can use Slacker, TuneIn Radio, Police Scanners from the phone and whatever else I want to listen to. It's almost overwhelming - but I like it :-D

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I actually realized that BT Audio opens up a whole new series of possibilities the other day that I hadn't really considered. I don't have an iPhone, I have android, but the car will come with FM/AM, CD, Sirius and I have a ZuneHD and if that isn't enough I realized I can use Slacker, TuneIn Radio, Police Scanners from the phone and whatever else I want to listen to. It's almost overwhelming - but I like it :-D
Oh yeah! You will love it. I love running Slacker or Pandora from my pocket or wherever (you know, when I get bored of the other half dozen media options at my fingertips).

Now, if they can just get you a bloody build date and let the countdown commence until you get to play with all of these fun toys......

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm having a similar problem. My iPhone is synced and I can receive and make calls. But when I try to connect either my iPod or my iPhone to the USB port, the system tells me that there is no bluetooth device connected and that it will try to connect to a previous bluetooth device.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how did you resolve it? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have Sync but no MFT, so your setup maybe different. My dealer tech support told me that any deviced plugged into my USB port is controlled by the "microsoft sync". After inserting your device, activate the "Sync Voice Command" button when it's ready say "USB". It will advise you of the available commands, and will start playing your audio media.

Let us know if this helps.

Denny

I'm having a similar problem. My iPhone is synced and I can receive and make calls. But when I try to connect either my iPod or my iPhone to the USB port, the system tells me that there is no bluetooth device connected and that it will try to connect to a previous bluetooth device.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how did you resolve it? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi Denny, That's just what I did. But instead of getting available commands, the system tells me that there is no bluetooth device connected. Or, it will tell me that it is connecting to one of my phonebook contacts. What's weird is that the bluetooth system will also no longer play music from my iPhone (without being connected via USB).

·
Registered
89 Posts
Plug your device into the UDB port in the arm rest. Turn the radio on. Press the AUX button. Hit the voice activation switch on the steering wheel, and when prompted say "USB", that should do it. Make sure the volume on your device is about 3/4 the way to full, or more if necessary.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I got it to work earlier today. I found that if I plug my device into the USB port before I start the car, everything works (including bluetooth through my phone). Also, I have to disconnect the USB once I turn the car off, or it will not connect when I next start the car.

I do have two questions, though -- I have MFT. I don't believe there is an AUX option on the screen. Are you referring to SYNC without MFT?

The other question -- I thought that once a device was indexed, etc., that the system had downloaded the music to the computer and there was no need to keep the media device in the car. Is that correct or have I misunderstood?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I got it to work earlier today. I found that if I plug my device into the USB port before I start the car, everything works (including bluetooth through my phone). Also, I have to disconnect the USB once I turn the car off, or it will not connect when I next start the car.

I do have two questions, though -- I have MFT. I don't believe there is an AUX option on the screen. Are you referring to SYNC without MFT?

The other question -- I thought that once a device was indexed, etc., that the system had downloaded the music to the computer and there was no need to keep the media device in the car. Is that correct or have I misunderstood?

Thanks!
So I assume you got an answer to this in the other thread cottage? You do have to keep the media device present and connected. Just an FYI, from my experience at least, if you disconnect the device and make changes (even minor ones), it does seem to start the whole indexing/media commands process over.

·
Registered
51 Posts
So I assume you got an answer to this in the other thread cottage? You do have to keep the media device present and connected. Just an FYI, from my experience at least, if you disconnect the device and make changes (even minor ones), it does seem to start the whole indexing/media commands process over.
Thanks Copernicium. By the way, I'm originally from Rochester but live outside of Detroit now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts