Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2012 focus se sedan
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today at 8am I had taken my 2012 focus into my local dealership to get the ipc updated for the digitial speedometer, I call 4 hours later to find out they tried updating the ipc over 10 times and it kept getting "stuck" so they "pushed" it through. I got the car back after paying $75 and now I'm stuck with a dead / black ipc in the center of my cluster. How would I go about fixing this as the dealership wants $1200 just for the screen, would i be able to just run to a scrap yard and take one out of a newer focus? My turn signal sounds are changed from the push they did so I'm guessing the software went through?

·
Registered
116 Posts
The cluster has to be programed to the car. So, yes you can swap a cluster in, but it will not work until it gets programed to the car.

·
Registered
2012 focus se sedan
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The cluster has to be programed to the
The cluster has to be programed to the car. So, yes you can swap a cluster in, but it will not work until it gets programed to the car.
Is there anyway I can program it at home or am I stuck forking more money over to the dealership? The lcd itself is $38 on eBay for the exact same part number if that would even fix it.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Interesting, yes this was a thing back in the day, but not to get a "digital speedometer", but the 4 screen split display (shows mpg, trip, time, miles to empty all in 1 screen). The 2012's didn't have this originally. If your goal was to get digital speedometer, that is news to me.

The dealerships wouldn't do this for free, but if you went in complaining of random black screens when you start your car and mentioned the TSB, they would update the software for you.

I had my 2012 updated using that argument back in 2013 in order to get the 4 screen display. I'm willing to bet they loaded the wrong version of the software in your car - since there are so many different versions of it by now, they probably loaded one not compatible with a 2012. Unfortunately you are way out of warranty, and probably will lose that battle.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Is there anyway I can program it at home or am I stuck forking more money over to the dealership? The lcd itself is $38 on eBay for the exact same part number if that would even fix it.
Unless an independent shop has a scan tool that has licensed Ford programming access, you will have to have the IC programed to the vehicle at a dealership.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sorry, I don't have a good answer for you, but why did your IPC need to be "updated?"
So today at 8am I had taken my 2012 focus into my local dealership to get the ipc updated for the digitial speedometer, I call 4 hours later to find out they tried updating the ipc over 10 times and it kept getting "stuck" so they "pushed" it through. I got the car back after paying $75 and now I'm stuck with a dead / black ipc in the center of my cluster. How would I go about fixing this as the dealership wants $1200 just for the screen, would i be able to just run to a scrap yard and take one out of a newer focus? My turn signal sounds are changed from the push they did so I'm guessing the software went through?

View attachment 308453
I have a 2012 MK3 with the same issue, I went to the wrecking yard and yanked one from a newer Ford SUV completely different P/N, HW#, Cal.# installed it and the quad screen, speedometer, odometer worked off the get go. After I got home I used IDS to set it to my VIN oddly the odometer stayed unchanged from the donor vehicle.

·
Registered
2012 focus se sedan
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have a 2012 MK3 with the same issue, I went to the wrecking yard and yanked one from a newer Ford SUV completely different P/N, HW#, Cal.# installed it and the quad screen, speedometer, odometer worked off the get go. After I got home I used IDS to set it to my VIN oddly the odometer stayed unchanged from the donor vehicle.
Good to know I'll have to try it one day since it takes less than 5 minutes to install

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.