Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
BAD EGG
7,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ugh, right before my bumper-to-bumper goes out too, lol. Don't worry....I have ESP [:D]

But anyway, at idle sometimes a wierd almost grinding / rattle can be heard from the engine and I have no idea of what it can be. I've tried to video the sound but it's low enough and the rest of the engine is loud enough to not pick it up. My dealer continues to say the standard "cannot duplicate noise" line. As far as I can determine it is coming from the rear of the engine, perhaps under the intake mani. Could it be the DSI motor or what? My DSI continues to work fine, right at 5K it takes off like a rocket and the exhaust signature doubles....I'm lost and I need direction. Thanks for your input!

·
BAD EGG
7,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Header is fine and I don't use cat shields. The problem exist under idle, in nuetral, and occurs about 20-30% of the time by my estimate so it's not too often but enough to make my skin crawl when heard.

·
BAD EGG
7,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no, what I do is blip the throttle to about 1.5K and it goes away, like something is being adjusted when I do it. Damn strange!

well, I can't recall what it does when I push the clutch in now, have to try that. You are thinking flywheel / clutch TSB huh? That sound would come more from the left side of the vehicle right? I'm pretty sure what I'm looking for is to the rear of the engine

·
Registered
427 Posts
The clutch rattle does sound like its coming from the rear of the engine. Go park next to a wall or something that the noise can bounce off of then you will hear it. It could also be your cat brackets.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
my vote is the rear cat bracket. They are prone to breaking, and don't have that 'tinny' sound that the heat sheilds have.
It's hard to see the thing unless you have the car on a lift, but pop your head under there and look up near the right side halfshaft where it goes into the tranny.

·
BAD EGG
7,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just checked the cat bracket, no problem there

1 - 8 of 8 Posts