Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, the tutorial for painting the interrior is good for telling me how to get the stuff out, but it doesnt really explain the process. should i sand down all of the parts before applying paint? also should they be primered? for all of you who have done the painting how many coats of primer/paint/clearcoat did you do? thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
i painted my interior recently and came out really good. i just took them out, washed them good with soap and water, then i did 3 coats of primer and make sure theres no runs, then 3 coats of paint, and then 5 really thin coats of clear coat. they came out really good, it is super clean and had like a mirror finish.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
yeah. that sounds about the same as how i did it. take them out, rinse with water. sometimes a REAL light alcohol rinse, to get any kind of oil off the surface. then 2 coats primer, 3 coats paint. then 3 coats clearcoat. i have yet to have a single problem.

i only have a good picture of the guage surround, but here's the finished product. i masked off the "inset" area, so it creates a nice contrast in color.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that looks really sharp. how long does it take to dry? my car is a daily driver so will i be dricin around without those parts for a couple days?

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
i used a weekend to do mine. i know you don't need NEARLY as much time as that, but i painted everything on saturday afternoon, let it dry overnight, and then put everything back in on sunday.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
that looks really good scironzts. good job [headbang]

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
thanks. :) i'm gonna eventually do some more painting, but i'm keeping it subtle for now.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
cant wait to see your final project

·
Registered
253 Posts
the tutorial your talking about is probably mine. well i lightly sanded with 2000 grit sandpaper, painted 3-4 light coats of krylon paint waiting a few minutes for the paint to set, then i allowed the paint to dry to the touch which is about 10-20 minutes depending on humidity (the dryer the better, i work at a body shop so i had the paint booth to dry mine in) then i applied the clear polyurethane paint a total of about 4 layers to give it a thick protective coating from scratches and thin spots in it when dry. any other questions leave a message here and i'll answer asap. good luck i hope that helped.

·
Registered
253 Posts
for me the paint was a total of 10 dollars for 3 cans or so or so and the polyurethane was like 5 dollars from where i got it. you can pind the paint at any hardware store or paint section at any department/grocery store

·
Registered
419 Posts
for me the piant was about 9$ and the clear coat was an extra 3$ i got it at an auto parts sotre so i could match the exterior color

·
Registered
650 Posts
I need someone's opinion on my interior color. My dash is a light grey, I wanted to do a metallic silver on the interior, but will it look bad? Gimmie some opinins here.. please..

~Tiffany

·
Registered
650 Posts
scironzts said:
i used a weekend to do mine. i know you don't need NEARLY as much time as that, but i painted everything on saturday afternoon, let it dry overnight, and then put everything back in on sunday.
did you sand yours down or did you jsut prime right over the original?? I think i might go to a junk yard and get some scrap pieces to try it out before I screw mine up.. will it cost me anything to do that?? from the junk yard i mean...

~Tiffany

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
03ChromeChica said:
I need someone's opinion on my interior color. My dash is a light grey, I wanted to do a metallic silver on the interior, but will it look bad? Gimmie some opinins here.. please..

~Tiffany
i had the light grey in my ZX3. i had painted all the dash pieces (vents, radio/guage bezel) red, but that got old real quick. so i repainted everything "black metal flake". it was black with little specs in it to give it some shimmer when the sun shone on it. looked dope as hell. i definitely recommend that on a light grey interior.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
03ChromeChica said:
did you sand yours down or did you jsut prime right over the original?? I think i might go to a junk yard and get some scrap pieces to try it out before I screw mine up.. will it cost me anything to do that?? from the junk yard i mean...

~Tiffany
i just cleaned mine thoroughly with some alcohol to get all the fingerprints/dirt/oil off of it. then primed. you're good to go with that. don'tw aste your money on extra parts.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Thanks, I appreciate the input, these are all mods I want to do in the near future.
scironzts: did you buy the color as is or did you mix it yourself??

~Tiffany

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
are you going to be posting any pics of your car soon 03chromechica? would like to see what you got so far

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
03ChromeChica said:
Thanks, I appreciate the input, these are all mods I want to do in the near future.
scironzts: did you buy the color as is or did you mix it yourself??

~Tiffany
bought it as is. i think it's a duplicolor product.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts