·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
has anyone taken apart their engine after some miles with f/i??? if so;

what f/i do you have?

what psi are you pushing?

how many miles have you driven?

what was the condition of the pistons, rods, etc...?

·
Registered
167 Posts
When I took my engine apart with no prior fi and 100,000 miles on it i could still barely see the crosshatch on the cylinder walls. I had the whole thing machined and have eagle rods with probe 9 to1 pistons. Now at 18 psi for a whopping 300 fun filled miles now.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
what is the crosshatch on the cylinder walls? and what whole thing was machined? are you referring to the block?

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
is it still safe to boost a car that has 100k miles on it in the first place?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
well wouldn't the engine, by 100k+ miles have experienced enough wear and tear on the block, internals, head, etc to be a major cause for concern? i mean even if you do a complete teardown and rebuild, does that necessarily make a motor "good as new"?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
i would even say it is better, to have it all rebuilt and machined. i have 80000 miles on it, tom tuned at 65000.
after i get money i will rebuild it with some strong pistons and raise the boost[driving]

·
FF Affiliate
31,100 Posts
Zetec engine are cheap , get your feet wet with the stock engine and make plans for a built engine as you go along , I dont think you will have any issues FI that engine , Do a Compression test and a leak down on it and that will tell you a lot

Tom

·
Registered
136 Posts
my cars been boosted for 90k miles now and I now have 130K miles on it . I've been running 10 psi on stock intternals and I've had no problems.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have been asking that ^^^^Question for a while now. Everyone has different answers. I guess it all depends on how safe the tune is.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
When the turbo was put on my car with stock eng at 8psi my rod snaped in half and made a very big whole in my block, now i'm running 1bar of boost with a bigger turbo with new internals and i see no prob. I would say it never hirts to upgrade your eng.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts