Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Asked a guy on Ford Fourms that had similar issue in a Van and he never resolved the issue and still has it.

I just now asked ford on their facebook page. Well see what if anything happens.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Someone on their Facebook site did respond and wanted to know mileage and vin number which I gave him so we'll see if that helps.

·
Registered
98 Posts
After all that all he had to say was that my car wasn't under a recall and I should take it to a dealer, goof!

·
Registered
98 Posts
OK here's what I tried today that seems to have worked. Unfortunately I didn't do it in a good way that I can pin point exactly what I did worked just yet, but I'll try and narrow it down if the problem returns which I'm hoping it won't but guessing will. I had bought a small can (2oz for $1 at the dollar store) of electronics duster spray. Just difluoroethane. Got in car at lunch and all the usual things weren't working on the way home. After car sat in sun during lunch I came out, started it up, turned on the turn signals and intermittent wipers and they still didn't work. So then while everything was still "on" I hosed down the uncovered GEM, gave it about 15- 20 seconds and nothing changed. Then I hosed down the fuse portion of the fuse panel, gave it 15 to 20 seconds and nothing changed. Then I hosed down the portion of the fuse panel that has the relays and initially nothing happened but then all of a sudden the turn signals started working and so did the intermittent wipers. I got in and drove a round about way back to work that took maybe 15 to 20 minutes and everything worked the whole drive. And once in the parking lot I checked and the brake lights were working even when the car engine was off. So I will check again when I leave work at 5:30 and the car should be nice and warm inside again and see if things are still workings. If not I'l probably spray just the relay area of the fuse panel and see if that gets things going again. I'm guessing that's where the issue is.

What I'm really hoping is that some how being super cooled and the contraction and expansion that caused, or maybe just the spray itself, cleaned some contacts that were being affected when things got warm. Strange but seems to be the case sometimes with electronics.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
There is a 20A fuse for the GEM on the back side of the CJB. You must the remove the CJB from its bracket to access it. Perhaps that fuse was not making good contact and when you sprayed the CJB that helped.

Good luck
Paul

·
Registered
98 Posts
It definately seems like it's some common link as they always work/don't work in unison. I saw that fuse #63 on the back in some of my searching see pdf and wondered about it. In both the before and after Sept 2001 versions it seemed to be lock related and the auto lock has been one to the functions affected. The after version mentions GEM in parenthesis for that fuse and I wondered if that was when they switched to GEM.

I looking forward to the drive home to see what happens.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Well darn drive home they didn't work and I don't feel like I had enough spray left to really hose down either part of the fuse block to get them working again, assuming they are the culprit. And driving around a bit in the evening with AC on max what ever is causing the problem didn't cool down enough to get things working either.

And the thing I noticed with the brake light the other day had a strange twist. When the key wasn't in ignition or engine wasn't running I had no brake lights. When the engine was running I had the 3rd brake light only!

And this morning the turn signals,intermittent wipers and auto door lock worked fine!

So strangely bizarre!

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Still may be worth it to partially remove the CJB and check (remove/replace) F63, and F32 (15A) while you are in there as those are the two fuses that power the GEM. I would also check the GEM grounds which are on the inner rocker panel on the passenger side under the carpet.

Good luck
Paul

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yeah I'm thinking it might not hurt to take out a lot of the fuses and connectors to the fuse block and the GEM and clean and maybe WD-40 them! Just such a seemingly unrelated functions that all work, don't work, then work again like there is one common connection or circuit that they all run through.

And I'd really like to pinpoint the culprit(s) so I don't have to waste a lot of time of stuff that isn't the issue especially since it's consistency really makes it seem like one specific thing that causing it.

I saw a youtube video here

where someone found a ground in a focus that had been moved to a place that wasn't really a good place for a ground and was causing a lot of issue with a variety of things, so I'm leaning in this direction for this. Even if it a ground that wasn't moved, but is just not making a good connection. Not clear in my mind how heat would cause the issue though.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I think I actually have a can of CRC QC electronics cleaner at home I could probably use. I actually did spray a bit on the GEM when I was trying to cool things off as a test, but I don't think that's it's main function and so didn't get things cold enough. Looking at the freeze and boiling points the stuff in the duster should get things really cold!
Probably just need to get a bigger or more cans of dusting spray and hit thing in a more controlled manner so I can tell which component being chilled did the trick the other day.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Well I tried hosing down the fuse block and then the gem at lunch today when nothing was working and didn't get anything going this time around.
And this conversation looks a lot like the same issue. I'll have to see if I can get up with these guys and see if they figured out what the issue was. I was starting to think it seems like a common ground problem and that's what one guy mentions.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I found a couple 10 year old post by Kody.g's about a similar if not the same problem with his.

In one a guy suggest a ground problem, but never get back to the specific one that fixed his.

Second post about it and in this one a guy says it's all due to the auto lock mechanism and if you disengage it some how the problem with the turn signals and brake lights goes away.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Well past couple days we've had upper 80s low 90s and everything has worked fine!

Electrical issues can be so confusing!

Hey did I mention car passed 200K?
WooHoo

But then yesterday I was adjusting the inside mirror and the plastic part that clips onto the metal piece glued to the windshield broke!
Doh!

21 - 35 of 35 Posts