Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The intermittent setting on my wipers doesn't work. Also when using the "squirt" feature, the wipers don't work. The medium and fast wiper settings both DO work though. The wipers don't seem to park correctly though.

I tried changing the wiper switch and that didn't help. My user manual doesn't list any relays for intermittent wipers.

Does anyone know where I should check next? Does anyone know if a 2007 focus has a relay that controls intermittent wipers? I'd appreciate advice.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
...a relay that controls intermittent wipers?
There is a relay for wiper power, but there is NOT a specific relay for the intermittent wiper function. The intermittent control is provided by your switch setting and the GEM. The GEM is the intermittent wiper "timer".

GEM failure would be highly unlikely. I believe you need further troubleshooting and further assistance from another FF member. I think I am forgetting something, just not sure what it is.

Gd Luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
...a relay that controls intermittent wipers?
There is a relay for wiper power, but there is NOT a specific relay for the intermittent wiper function. The intermittent control is provided by your switch setting and the GEM. The GEM is the intermittent wiper "timer".

GEM failure would be highly unlikely. I believe you need further troubleshooting and further assistance from another FF member. I think I am forgetting something, just not sure what it is.

Gd Luck

Thank you. I’ll look forward to input from other FF members.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did buy a new switch from rockauto.com and installed that, but it didn’t help. I still had the same problem. Wipers worked on regular and fast speeds. The intermittent and squirt feature still didn’t work.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts

Gd Luck

Yes Marde, you are correct and also wrong. Here is the thing you thought you were forgetting->

The wiper relay is BOTH power for the wiper system AND IS ALSO integrated into the GEM control circuits for the wipers while using wiper intermittent control.

The wiring book that Marde looked at does not EVER reference this relay as related to intermittent wiper function, but it does! The devil is in the details, but these details are not shown in my book. But the details are there if using secret decoder glasses with a special lens. Dagnamit!!

I did buy a new switch from rockauto.com and installed that, but it didn’t help. I still had the same problem.
Sorry. I forgot the quirky details of that system. You need to replace your wiper system relay. Refer to your car owners manual for the exact location of this relay.

Gd Luck

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Yes Marde, you are correct and also wrong. Here is the thing you thought you were forgetting->

The wiper relay is BOTH power for the wiper system AND IS ALSO integrated into the GEM control circuits for the wipers while using wiper intermittent control.

The wiring book that Marde looked at does not EVER reference this relay as related to intermittent wiper function, but it does! The devil is in the details, but these details are not shown in my book. But the details are there if using secret decoder glasses with a special lens. Dagnamit!!

Sorry. I forgot the quirky details of that system. You need to replace your wiper system relay. Refer to your car owners manual for the exact location of this relay.

Gd Luck
Marde,
I agree with your accessment to check the front wiper relay based on the symptions the OP is having.

What I find interesting is that when looking at the the system schematics (I have the 2002 and 2005 Ford wiring manuals) they show the front (and rear) wiper relays as being in the CJB. In fact the schematics are basically identical 00-07 (based on what is published online). However the Ford online owners manuals only list the relays - R18 (rear) and R19 (front) - for 00-05. The 2006 and 2007 owners manuals dont list the wiper relays at all - R18 and R19 are listed as 'not used'. Its hard for me the believe that both years owners manuals have misprints but I also believe that 00-07 all had the R18/R19 wiper relays in the CJB. So following the online owner manuals for 06 and 07 could lead one down the wrong path - unless there is something else Im missing.

Paul

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Marde,
I agree with your accessment to check the front wiper relay based on the symptions the OP is having...
Not just check that relay, but replace that relay. And once fixed, take the old relay to a meeting with a BFH hammer.

...The 2006 and 2007 owners manuals dont list the wiper relays at all - R18 and R19 are listed as 'not used'. Its hard for me the believe that both years owners manuals have misprints but I also believe that 00-07 all had the R18/R19 wiper relays in the CJB...
I have not checked those other car owner manuals or my 2004 ever, er, ok, rarely, and have not in a long time. Guess I am lazy, and also very lazy recently.

Those 2006 & 2007 owners manuals are either wrong or right. We need someone with that car year to inspect the CJB and find out what is real. R18 and R19 are there (installed in the car) or not. My reference is a 2004 Ford Focus wire diagram paperback book... So I could easily be off target & wrong.

My car owners manual sits in my glove-box and gets little or no use; maybe I should use it more than I have. I guess it is still there? Under my junk and extra sunglasses?

Now going back to one of your points Paul:
My 2004 wiring diagram book has so many details and is fantastic for many reasons, but it has a few basic faults and here is one of them->

Something SO SIMPLE as relay position numbers are not listed. You, me, and others, will have to go to the car owners manual to identify the ID Number of any relay shown in this wiring diagram book. Funny. Not funny. Thanks Ford.

This super great book of wiring diagrams does not ID relay numbers, it has no idea what R18 and R19 is, -without (cross-referencing) using the car owners manual. Now,... that is a little funny. Or is very funny. This depends on your funny bones.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Now going back to one of your points Paul:
My 2004 wiring diagram book has so many details and is fantastic for many reasons, but it has a few basic faults and here is one of them->

Something SO SIMPLE as relay position numbers are not listed. You, me, and others, will have to go to the car owners manual to identify the ID Number of any relay shown in this wiring diagram book. Funny. Not funny. Thanks Ford.

This super great book of wiring diagrams does not ID relay numbers, it has no idea what R18 and R19 is, -without (cross-referencing) using the car owners manual. Now,... that is a little funny. Or is very funny. This depends on your funny bones.

Cheers!
Interestingly on 2002 and older Ford wiring diagrams the relays have 'K' numbers (like on military and industrial schematics). The front wiper relay is shown as K162 and the rear wiper relay is K64 - even though the owners manual shows them as R18 and R19 respectively. So yes you need to look at the wiring diagram manual and cross reference the owners manual. Both are available for free online.

Paul

·
Registered
98 Posts
I just started having this same wiper issue on my 2003 ztw last night during a big rain storm. Don't use my low or high setting too much since I installed silicone wipers that leave a pretty good rainx like film on the windshield so I was missing the intermittents. Actually I mostly just use the single wipe these days.

And interesting that two things might be causing the issue, as my drivers window got where it would go up but not down intermittently for a while till it finally quit going down at all. I replaced door hand switch by itself and it didn't help. I replaced auto down relay inside door by itself and it didn't fix it. I finally replaced both together and that fixed it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I may have made some similar replies about this problem in other chats, but this is the first one that came up when I searched today so I'll reply in this one. Sorry if it's repeating a lot of my other replies, but I'm getting old and that happens a lot in my verbal conversations too!. Anyway, I've continued having this problem and think it's heat related, i.e. heat from the time of year and the car sitting out in the sun. And it's also related to a couple other issues including the turn signals not working and the door closed shutting off the interior lights and locking locks. And I think all these are due to very small relay/timers on a circuit board located behind the glove box on the fire wall/passenger side wall. It's getting to be a warm enough time of year so that the issues happen mostly when I get in the car at the end of the work day and it's been sitting outside in the sun, and also some at lunch time if it's a warm and sunny enough day. I'm guessing the easiest way, if most costly, to fix it would be to send it off to someone that works on boards to replace the relay/timer. There are probable commentators that can do this at home, but I doubt my skills at soldering are good enough for these small components. So if someone knows of a good place to send these off to to get fixed or that will swap out my faulty one for an equal replacement let me know. And feel free to show how to fix it is some folks that would like to try themselves will have some good guide lines! The car just turned over 197k yesterday so there's a part of me that feels like let it go. I want to keep the car till it hits 200K just to see it it gets there without any more major issues, then will probably give it to a charity, but who knows. I may see if I can get 250K or 300K out of it! If so I definately want the turn signals to work all the time, not just when it's cool out. Was think an easy way to fix them might be to just splice in a normal size turn signal relay and by pass the small one. Similar to how I fixed the instrument panel lights when the board power supply died, but I'll need some wiring help with that too! Anyone?

Edit 1:And for what it's worth I found someone on ebay selling used ones with no exchange for like 15 bucks. Don't know if they have been looked over and made sure to be working, but have asked and will let you know.

Edit 2: They responded quickly and asked for VIN number to see if they had what I need. Also dent them picture of tag on my module that I'd posted in other post about a year ago. Comparing their picture with part tag and mine they look very close with only 2 numbers different one being date code. But about 8 or 9 other numbers are the same....I'm feeling luck especially if I get it replaced for 15 bucks!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Well the unit for 15 bucks was one letter different than the unit in my car. My car is 1S7T-15K600-JC. the unit they had was same except last letter a D, 1S7T-15K600-JD.
Seller sent me a message saying they had what I need and they'd call about it but haven't. Sent them another message just now so I'm sill wait to hear back. I did see a unit they had with exact same number and it was more but still only like 35 bucks.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm thinking a couple relay/timers on that board are what causes the following issues when the car's been sitting in the sun and the interior gets really warm.

Turn signals don't work but hazards do.Wipers don't run in intermittent or wash, but do on low/high/single wipe. Automatic door lock and interior light turn off don't work when you start driving, but doors lock by door switch (i normally put lights off all the time during summer because of this).

Usually after driving the car a while and it cools off a bit all these functions start working again. And during the winter months none of these things is an issue and they work normally. So probably the previous post I made about this were last october when it got cooler and they went away and they have only come back in the last few weeks as temperatures have gotten warmer. Last night leaving work at 5pm they didn't work. This morning coming in at 7am they all worked.

I think it's the gem board because as I stated in another post about this, the problem seemed to go away for a while after I hosed down the gem board with some electrical contact cleaner. I Especially it these relay/timers because I believe they are involved with the with these timed functions of the turn signals and wipers. The problem seemed to go away for a few days before it came back as usual. I don't think it's the steering wheel switch because I don't believe the interior light power goes through that switch, and because the hosing down of the relays seemed to fix this briefly.

The two relay/timers I believe are the issue are in the yellow rectangle.

GEM Highlight relays.jpg

I'm probably going to take that board out this weekend and see if I can open up those items and hose them down more and clean any contacts they may have. I've read of folks hitting soldered connections with an iron but I don't trust my skills with that.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Here's the other thread I talked about the GEM module. For what it's worth car had 188k now had 197k! I want to keep it till at least 200k and even if I buy a used prius from a friend I may keep it just to see how much more I can put on it!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Well looking at the relays they don't appear to be openable. I ordered a cheap replacement GEM off ebay, 25 bucks. I'll see if it works and if not maybe practice removing them on it and if they seem to come off ok see if I can find new relays. I googled a bit and did find some. And they seem to be relays not timer based on the text scribed into them (NAiS ACT12 bo2) that match these units

Here's a picture I found of one like it and probable schematic. Pic shows how most online appeared sealed from the bottom. Can't actually see since they are soldered right down to the board

·
Registered
98 Posts
Well now I'm thinking it's not those relays, but whatever timer(s) control(s) the turn signals, intermittent wipers, windshield wash wiper, back wiper (normal and wash), door auto lock. I still don't think it's either steering wheel switch as all other non timed functions work. Question is where is/are it/they. I tried putting in board without it's cover to see it if when it quit working I could hose it down with electrical cleaner and get a quick if not instant response, but got nothing. Also tried disconnecting most but not all connections and got nothing. Then tried cooling things down by driving around with ac max on with air coming out at floor but after about 20 minutes gave up. I'm thinking my previous working after taking everything apart. hosing down with cleaner and reassembling was just not really hot days.

Hopefully the timer(s) for those items are on the "new" board I get and they work!

Edit: Humm googling just now I saw about a central timing unit but one of the items was Marde saying it had been moved to the gem after 2002. Anyone know what the timer looks like if it's a device on the GEM or if not there where?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Well "new" used board in and I'm still getting no turn signals, intermittent wipers, etc. when cars been sitting in the sun a while. I'm leaving the original one inside at home and will switch it out when I get home from work and see if the cool one works. That will maybe will at least let me know if it's both boards not working when hot or it's some other item elsewhere in the car/circuit that's the issue.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Well the cool original board from the house didn't fix the array of problems after the car got warm after sitting in the sun with the used new board installed.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts