Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 focus ztw with the 2.0 16v ztec

Interesting problem. Sporadically my turn signals don't work. As in no dash blinkers, no clicking, no lights outside left or right, front or rear. Sometimes while driving it will work, then quit then start working again. Hazards always seem to work. And then last night I noticed the windshield washer would spray but the wipers wouldn't move. They also would not move when put into intermittent, but they did work on low or high. I'm in the middle of replacing a water pump on a 2013 escape but was hoping to get some pointers on what to start checking on this once I finish that. Thanks!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
2003 focus ztw with the 2.0 16v ztec

Interesting problem. Sporadically my turn signals don't work. As in no dash blinkers, no clicking, no lights outside left or right, front or rear. Sometimes while driving it will work, then quit then start working again. Hazards always seem to work. And then last night I noticed the windshield washer would spray but the wipers wouldn't move. They also would not move when put into intermittent, but they did work on low or high. I'm in the middle of replacing a water pump on a 2013 escape but was hoping to get some pointers on what to start checking on this once I finish that. Thanks!
I found this thread after posting above

https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/general-technical-chat/808931-intermittent-wipers-not-working-2007-ford-focus.html

so will check for the relay. Anyone know exactly where it is on a 2003?

The guy that started the post never replied if that ended up fixing the problem. And I'm guessing some relay or blinker mechanism for the turn signal issue too. So if someone knows where that is let me know, thanks!
I would look at the wiper and turn signal issues as two seperate problems that are unrelated as each of those systems uses two completely seperate power supply circuits. And the turn signals use the same power supply circuit as the hazards. The only thing the turn signals and wipers have in common is they both use the GEM module.

When you use the wipers in low or high and then shut them off do they park (at the bottom of the windshield) normally?

Paul

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I assume turn signals and wipers only related due to age!

The wipers seem to park properly and this morning washer and intermittent seemed to be working.

Turn signals also this morning and at lunch.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Yeah I assume turn signals and wipers only related due to age!

The wipers seem to park properly and this morning washer and intermittent seemed to be working.

Turn signals also this morning and at lunch.
Perhaps I should have asked: do the wipers and turn signals always fail together?

After you open and close a door does the dome lamp go out on its own after 25-30 seconds?

The GEM module is the turn signal 'blinker', and the 'delay' timer for the intermittent wipers (and dome light) that is the reason I might suspect it but typically they are quite reliable.

Paul

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Interesting as the thought occurred to me the other day that they might be happening at the same time. And after your question about it I started checking and I do believe they happen at the same time. And it seems to happen when the car is really hot, as in sitting in the sun for a while like late morning or in the afternoon. I searched focusfanatics and internet about GEM issues. Briefly doing that there seem to be a few ways to check it but don't appear a lot of info about fixing if it's the issue. And as far as the door and light, I typically keep the light to off, but have seen the door open light come on briefly while driving with doors all shut and locked, the it goes off and I'll hear the auto lock try to lock all the doors. So I moved the light to, on when door open, the other night after you mentioned that and drove it after it sat in the sun all day so was really hot inside when I got in. Wipers and turn signal weren't working and door open flashed on while driving along and interior light came on and then door open went off, locks cycled and light went out. Wipers and turn stayed not working. Parked it a few hours while eating at a friends, then when I left his house it was dark, cool outside and cool int he car and everything worked.

When should I look for the GEM module?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I would turn on lights (when they aren't functioning) and do the wiggle test on all cables related to your battery while watching for the lights to suddenly flicker or come on.
Check your grounds too.
It also wouldn't hurt to chase the two positive cables from the battery and pull them out of the plastic loom and see if they are welded together or are burnt on the bottom side and occasionally touching thr EGR pipe or some other part of the body.

Another thing to make sure of is that your battery cannot slide while you're driving.
Constant sliding back and forth of the battery can cause intermittent failures of components as the battery slides one way when you turn, everyrhing works, then you turn another way later, battery slides, suddenly you have no accessories again.

Could be none of that, but, worth checking.
Best of luck to ya!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheap Sleeper, I'm pretty sure this is a problem with the GEM as Paul1958 has suggested because it's a timing problem with the turn signals, intermittent wipers, and the door lock/dome light. And what I've noticed is that it seem to be heat related as when the interior of the car is really hot.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Cheap Sleeper, I'm pretty sure this is a problem with the GEM as Paul1958 has suggested because it's a timing problem with the turn signals, intermittent wipers, and the door lock/dome light. And what I've noticed is that it seem to be heat related as when the interior of the car is really hot.
Problem could be the GEM, or wiring to it. The GEM is behind the passenger side forward kick panel in a bracket directly on top of the PCM . If it was me Id check that all the connectors are secure. Id probably go one further and disconnect all the connectors (5) and remove the GEM and do a physical inspection of the contacts on both the GEM and the harness. While its disconnected/removed Id also check powers and grounds at the harness. If you want to try that let me know and I can get into more detail.

BTW
Does your 'key in' chime work when you have no signals, wipers, etc?
If you have an auto trans does your shift interlock work when you have no signals, wipers, etc?

Paul

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks I'll try and give all those things a check sometime this week. I've been busy with my daughters 2013 escape that needed a new water pump and my 97 chevy truck I think has a leak with the oil cooler or it's hoses I want to address soon. I have a 66 fairlane I'd like to get up and running one day but the "new" daily driver cars need a lot of odds and all the time!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well it happened the other night when it was pretty cool outside and in the car. So maybe as you suggest it's a loose connection that is just aggravated by the heat. And unfortunately I could remember the other items you told me to check when it happened! Still have some other items to fix on my other cars before I'll be able to get back to this.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well I finally got around to pulling the GEM out yesterday. It's behind and to the right of the glove box which is easy to pull after removing 3 screws underneath. Nice instructions here;

https://workshop-manuals.com/ford/focus_rs_2003_09.2002/mechanical_repairs/4_electrical/419_electronic_feature_group/419-10_multifunction_electronic_modules/description_and_operation/diagnosis_and_testing/removal_and_installation/generic_electronic_module_(gem)/

I drove car around in the morning and had a few times where things weren't working. A few pictures of mine below. Pic 1 is with the yellow locking lever pulled back to release. when pushed in and locked the horizontal bar is toward the housing. I'm glad I thought to take picture before pulling all connectors, although cord length would also help you determine location. Didn't see anything unusual looking so just hosed everything down with some electrical drying spray and bent the connector pins a bit so maybe they'd make better contact. A lot of little tabs as you can see in the 5 connectors. 5 wide ones you can see from board in pic 3 and in pic 5 you can see the solder dots of a bunch of small one on the other side in some of the connectors. Sorry didn't get a good shot inside the connector itself. Then I parked it in the sun for a few hours, not real hot day but probably in the mid to upper 80s and fairly sunny but occasional cloud cover. Drove it around about 30 minutes and everything seemed to work. Looks to be a bit sunnier today so I'll see how it does when I go to lunch and it's been parked in some sun during the morning. Hopefully after lunch it will be even more sunny and hot so I'll get a better test after work. Be nice if it's this easy of a fix! Car just turned over 188K!

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well it made it through today with no blinker, auto door lock, or wiper issues. So I may be jumping the gun but I may have fixed my problem. If it keeps this up for a week of hot weather I'll declare victory! I'll make a guess as to why after that.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Maybe that was the issue and cycling/cleaning the connectors was all it needed. The GEMs tend to be quite reliable even over the long term (because/in spite of being made in Germany). Perhaps you can post a long term follow up at some point down the road.

Good luck
Paul

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah so far it's still ok, but has gotten cooler here near Raleigh NC this week. But next week it's supposed to be pushing 90s again so as you say I'll make myself a reminder to follow up.. Kinda funny because I was going to ask about this near the end of last summer, then the problem went away and I didn't think much about it till this summer when it cropped up again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts