Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI All,

I have an issue with my 2007 Mk2 Focus and starting. The issue is very intermittent and i haven't been able to diagnose what factors cause it to happen as it has happened in all weathers and at all times of the day.

When the ignition is turned on the engine turns over but doesn't catch until you hold it turning over for about 10 seconds then it will catch. Occasionally after this happens and it does catch the engine will idle below normal and pressing the accelerator doesn't effect the revs until you fully push down on the peddle then it almost frees something and the engine revs high then settles down to a normal idle.

This doesn't always happen, sometimes the car just catches straight away and runs fine.

I took the car into a Ford garage and they told me that the Battery was to blame as it wasn't powerful enough. The sceptic in me didn't believe that so i took it to another Ford garage to check and they said the same so i replaced the 6 month old battery with the most powerful Bosch one i could get for the car and its made no difference.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks

·
Registered
360 Posts
get a scanner and when it's running make sure your getting a reasonable signal from all of the sensors. Check the TPS with an ohmmeter. Is this an automatic or manual trans vehicle?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got one fault code from the scanner which was P0460 Ford - Fuel Level Sensor 'A' Circuit
After clearing it and restarting the car it didnt come back.

I tested the TPS sensor with a voltmeter and all appeared to be functionioning correctly

·
Registered
360 Posts
What is fuel pressure? Let the car sit for a while then start it while your looking at the fuel pressure on the scanner. Pressure might be coming up too slowly. I would also check for a clogged fuel filter. You can also try this, from a cold start, when it's starting the turning over but no firing, give it about 5-6 revolutions then shut it down and pull a plug and smell for fuel.

Does it happen when warm?

Does it happen if you switch the key to ON but not start - leave it in ON for 30 seconds - then try starting?

You can also try some cans of fuel system cleaner that has a lot of alcohol in it, that will pick up any water in there that might be there but I doubt that is it.

I would be guessing fuel pump.

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
Or possibly the opposite, too rich leaky injector. Injector leaks to make hard long crank start then engine pulls up slowly because all loaded up, idle is crap because of same............should be worse when car is warm and try to restart. If worse cold then lean as said.

·
Registered
46 Posts
HI All,

I have an issue with my 2007 Mk2 Focus and starting. The issue is very intermittent and i haven't been able to diagnose what factors cause it to happen as it has happened in all weathers and at all times of the day.

When the ignition is turned on the engine turns over but doesn't catch until you hold it turning over for about 10 seconds then it will catch. Occasionally after this happens and it does catch the engine will idle below normal and pressing the accelerator doesn't effect the revs until you fully push down on the peddle then it almost frees something and the engine revs high then settles down to a normal idle.

This doesn't always happen, sometimes the car just catches straight away and runs fine.

I took the car into a Ford garage and they told me that the Battery was to blame as it wasn't powerful enough. The sceptic in me didn't believe that so i took it to another Ford garage to check and they said the same so i replaced the 6 month old battery with the most powerful Bosch one i could get for the car and its made no difference.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks
My 2005 ST did this when it was nearing time to replace the battery. I replaced it with a generic battery and it was fine. Bosch has a bad reputation for electronics in the U.S. I also have a Dodge minivan and when the O2 sensor went bad, all forums said to use factory replacement and not Bosch. Bosch tended to fail in 6 months or less for many cars. Also Bosch spark plugs in a Focus are known for problems.

Fanatics quote
"Bosch Spark Plugs Bad!
I dunno if any of you guys have ever tried them before or not, but i got some bosch spark plugs to go with my new wires, well after the install my car fliped out. it acted like it wasnt firing correctly. i double checked everything with the bosch plugs and it still sputtered, so i just put the old motorcrafts back in and it was fine. but yeah word of advice, dont get these plugs. the focus hates them. and my cars in great shape."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts