Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Focus and the radio loses power intermittently. Had no power at all yesterday then this morning powered right up for my drive to work then lost power in parking lot. At first I thought the fuse blew but now with intermittent power it can't be the fuse. Loose ground/ bad wiring harness? Going to pull the radio after work and have a look see. Can make a "tool" that I found on line using a bent coat hanger to remove the radio. Is there anyone else that may have had the same sort of problem that can point me in the correct direction? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
Moved to "Car Audio & Electronics".

I think you are on the right track, check the wire connections.

On another note, just bite the bullet and spend the $5 for the correct removal tool. I have done the coat hanger method and its far too frustrating for the cost of the right tool.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Yeah, if it's a stock radio try to find the removal prongs. I needed to pull a stock radio out of my brothers car last weekend and called our local Ford dealer and asked the service manager about something else, and remembered to ask if they had those removal tools to sell. He said they didn't but offered to loan me his own set without my even asking, you might get lucky that way too. He's an uncommonly decent guy though.

If it's a stock unit and it has that little detachable security plate, it could be some bad connection there, I think I've read those are prone to cause problems over time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Found the Problem - Itermittent Radio

Since I don't own the car I hadn't had the time to investigate until yesterday. The radio has an anti theft removable front face plate...the plate that has the numbered 1 thu 6 preset channels is removable. I noticed when I hit the preset channels that the radio would lose power. I removed the plate and cleaned the contacts on both mating surfaces. Plays like a champ now. And by the way I did buy the removal tool at WalMart for five bucks even though I didn't need it. Tried the tool for the heck of it and it works like a champ...so does the radio now. Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts