Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As usual, the only times any problems occur is when the temperature drops below freezing.

Problem started last night. Heat started working normally, but then noticed after a while that it was blowing cold air. The heat seems to come on intermittently. There are not any problems with the blower.

Already did some searching. Here's what I plan this evening:

1. Check coolant level.
2. Replace thermostat.
3. Flush coolant.

I'm hoping it's just the coolant level as I haven't given it attention in a while.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to General Tech Chat

Here's a stickie on cable controls for the HVAC system:http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=302320

The temp is controlled by a 'blend door", so IF for some reason the cable control was broken & that could flop around it would go from hot to cold. Haven't heard that symptom, it's usually inability to change a setting when there is a problem there but anything is possible.

Low coolant issue would be the first check as you mentioned.

·
Registered
17,173 Posts
Check coolant level for sure, heat dropping off is a sign of empty coolant reservoir.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Moved to General Tech Chat

Here's a stickie on cable controls for the HVAC system:

The temp is controlled by a 'blend door", so IF for some reason the cable control was broken & that could flop around it would go from hot to cold. Haven't heard that symptom, it's usually inability to change a setting when there is a problem there but anything is possible.

Low coolant issue would be the first check as you mentioned.

It looks like you're the one with the knowledge here. I can't find a thread for my fiance's 2010 Focus SE with the push-button HVAC controls.

The symptoms align with the 2007 era blend door issues, however there are no cable controls on her model. HVAC is stuck blowing partially on defrost and mostly on the floor, the buttons don't change anything any longer.

Do you know of a thread for her updated HVAC controls you may be able to reference me to??

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
I've seen them, but don't have a direct reference.

Peek in through the glove box hole to check out that side, the earlier cable models were controlled from the driver's side but IIRC what you're looking for may be on the other side of the housing.

I'd actually bet on some for both sides in the MkII's.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts