Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since just before Thanksgiving I have been having an issue with code P0010 on my 2012 SE. It seems if I drive the car for a bit and then stop for ~15 or less the intake VVT solenoid stops working. This is noticeable as the car then has no power under 4k rpm, and sometimes it only in certain rpm ranges that it has no power. If the car sits long enough it will behave correctly. Also for one instance I didn't clear the code, drove the car ~25 minutes and it then sat for about 1.5 hours. The VVT started working again and the CEL shut itself off.

I found some troubleshooting steps online and I believe that the wiring is good. I am guessing that its the solenoid itself but there isn't a lot of information out there on this code and what I saw people said changing the solenoid didn't help.

TLDR: intake VVT solenoid will stop working if car is stopped and turned off for ~15 minutes or less. After it stops working and sits a much longer time (hours) the intake VVT will work fine, to the best of my knowledge. Does set a P0010.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
To put a solution out there for anyone else that might be having this issue, it was the solenoid itself. Had a new one installed and the engine is now running better than ever.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Since just before Thanksgiving I have been having an issue with code P0010 on my 2012 SE. It seems if I drive the car for a bit and then stop for ~15 or less the intake VVT solenoid stops working. This is noticeable as the car then has no power under 4k rpm, and sometimes it only in certain rpm ranges that it has no power. If the car sits long enough it will behave correctly. Also for one instance I didn't clear the code, drove the car ~25 minutes and it then sat for about 1.5 hours. The VVT started working again and the CEL shut itself off.

I found some troubleshooting steps online and I believe that the wiring is good. I am guessing that its the solenoid itself but there isn't a lot of information out there on this code and what I saw people said changing the solenoid didn't help.

TLDR: intake VVT solenoid will stop working if car is stopped and turned off for ~15 minutes or less. After it stops working and sits a much longer time (hours) the intake VVT will work fine, to the best of my knowledge. Does set a P0010.
Hi, the focus has a recall. I diagnosed, found and repaired my problem, before I knew it was a service recall. Here goes.
Intermittent power losses for 25k miles. No codes. Till one day, power loss stayed, plus a p0010.
The service recall is the main engine harness, front of the engine on the right looking at engine, it runs on the intake and cuts wires. 5 of my wires were damaged by the time I found i. Pin 75? On my ecu wasn't connected to my vvt solenoid....so I tore it down fixed all five wires and no problems since. Sorry I do not have the recall number handy....

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, the focus has a recall. I diagnosed, found and repaired my problem, before I knew it was a service recall. Here goes.
Intermittent power losses for 25k miles. No codes. Till one day, power loss stayed, plus a p0010.
The service recall is the main engine harness, front of the engine on the right looking at engine, it runs on the intake and cuts wires. 5 of my wires were damaged by the time I found i. Pin 75? On my ecu wasn't connected to my vvt solenoid....so I tore it down fixed all five wires and no problems since. Sorry I do not have the recall number handy....
I know the one you are talking about. When it was issued I unclipped that harness from the corner of the valve cover so that it wasn't pulled hard against the intake manifold. I felt the harness at the time and the outside cover was not split.

However in this case it was not the harness. With troubleshooting I found online I tested the wiring and it was good. Also this was a sudden change. A new solenoid took care of the issue.

Although I will say looking back I think it has been acting up for some time, just in a much less noticeable way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts