Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I needed some input about an idea that I have been running through my head lately. Well all the sedan owners will get me here when i say u know how we have the spot of "nothingness" below our rear window. . . yeah, i was thinking of maybe adding a couple more 6x9's or even going with some maybe 8" subs on there and just put little screens over them to make them look more like they were there all along. The only reason I'm thinking about going 8's cuz I need the trunk room I have, but would love a little more bass. and there is plenty of room to add 2, 4, even 6 8" subs. . . because its just bare. . . like for storage or something. . . who knows, but i have been thinking about this for a while now and would just like some more input on it. Or if anyone has done this, i would greatly appreciate pictures.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Well it can be done. Haven't seen anyone do it. For the subs you would have to make a box to get the full sound of them. I would like to see you try it and see how it comes out.

·
Jetsetter
6,659 Posts
im pretty sure this has been done, it would be quite a project to tackle alot of cutting and fabercating because there are no provisions there for any speakers. but if theres a will theres a way. you can do anything you put your mind too

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i'll c what i can do. . . i was noticing from the inside of the trunk all the frame there, but it can be cut out. . . i think i'm going to just go with 6x9's because I don't really want to do single enclosures for the 8" subs. . . and just go with a slimmer sub box for a little added base.

·
omn-nom-nomnomnomnom
2,293 Posts
the shape of the speaker doesn't change the fact that it will want an enclosure. also, if you're cutting custom holes, please don't go oval (6x9). oval speakers are an inherently bad design. running some 6 or 8" midbass drivers back there would be pretty awesome... you'll want to start by removing the molding & planning the enclosures. follow the same procedure as making a fiberglass "spare tire" or side-trunk enclosure, using MDF for the baffle side.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
is there a how to anywhere on fiberglassing or making a side-trunk enclosure?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
look around to there are some subs out there designed to work in "free air" enviroments

·
omn-nom-nomnomnomnom
2,293 Posts
Google it... fiberglass enclosures are one of those non-focus-specific things. :)

I would stay away from open-air woofers. To get them to work you have to create an 'infinite baffle' situation, which is quite difficult to do well. You are better off with an enclosure for that location if you want bass. Open-air woofers have tighter suspension (since there is not an enclosure in which to compress air) and require more power for similar outputs, as well.

·
Registered
442 Posts
If you want to do a box on the sides of the trunk you just need to cut out some metal... Once some of the frame of the trunk is out of the way there is plenty of space for a box there without interfering at all with the space of the trunk. this is what I will be doing eventually.

·
Registered
121 Posts
If you are only wanting to add a little bass, I would say go for the free air subs. No experience with them but some research would help ya out. I am sure there are some on here that could help as well. Good luck with whatever you choose. And take some pics of your work. I may just have to try it out.

Edit: http://techronics.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_id=3352&aff=72182
Just found these after posting. Kicker subs that work in free air. These are 10" and actually cheaper than the 8". Just some ideas.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts