Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how long it took everyone to paint their air vents, and the plastic around the gages. I know there is the how to but I need to know as well what the best paint is. I am entering a car show on August 26th and I need to represent against those Cobras.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i painted the air vents in about 3 hrs, the plastic around the gauges is a lot more work, i was only 4hrs busy with the sanding of it

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
I did mine very slowly and it took about 24 hours including the drying time. I did multiple coats of color and clear as well as sanding them down prior to painting. This also included removal and reinstallation.

There are some HOW TO's on this in the ARCHIVE, the link is in my signature.

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
To do it properly, I did a coat (extremely light one) every 1/2 hour and did about 6 of them, then 4 or so coats of clear (also very light coats) then left it overnight, did the reinstall in the morning/lunch area.

MAKE SURE it has very much dried as you'll just end up redoing it as you'll scratch, fingerprint it when you do the reinstall to quickly after painting. At least 12 hours is what I would recommend.

I've done several interior paint jobs on the focus to date, for several people and it all turned out very very nice and durable.

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
Not sure, duplicolor I think, I basically went to the autoparts store for color matched spray paint cans for all vehicles and found the color I wanted. So it was an exterior paint color. I also bought a can of the clear (same manufacturer).

Also, if you do several coats, they MUST be light as if you put to much paint on, the vents won't slide smoothly, at least on the vent rings. The other parts are fine.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
FoCuSoNtHiS67 said:
I was wondering how long it took everyone to paint their air vents, and the plastic around the gages. I know there is the how to but I need to know as well what the best paint is. I am entering a car show on August 26th and I need to represent against those Cobras.
dupicolor works fine, HOWEVER....
If you are competing against others, and you want to stand out.

Use DuPont vinyl-based automotive paint.
It costs ~$45 a pint, and you can spray it with a preval sprayer ($5)

Bright Atlantic Blue (Factory color from FORD, year 1998)

FULL SIZE IMAGE
It took approx 1 full day to paint. (time for full paint cure). About 3-4 hours actual work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts