Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone painted their interior? If you have do you get annoyed at it sometimes?

·
It's been fun.......
3,042 Posts
Just have to be careful what you paint and with what kind of paint. High traffic items or items
most likely to be scratched, scuffed or kicked are better left alone. [bigcry]

·
Registered
419 Posts
i hav my my vents and the speedo consloe painted , and i like them they way they r now, as said before though its not a good idead to paint high traffic areas

·
Registered
515 Posts
I had some of the interior trim of my ZX5 painted a metallic gray to match the Liquid Gray exterior. Looked really good too, not too flashy, but gave it a nice custom look. See my gallery for the interior pics (or you can just look in the ZX5 gallery for my pics).

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
i had my zx3 interior all painted up, twice. first in red, then in black metal flake. i painted the vents, the guage surround, radio surround, etc. typical things to paint in the car. don't have any pics of that.

then with the zts, i decided just to paint the guage surround to match the silver in the stock mach audio stereo surround. and then painted the FC shifter surround to match as well. noone can even tell that it's painted. everyone thinks it came that way, which is what i was going for. didn't want anything flashy and gawdy.

·
Registered
158 Posts
thats what i've been thinking about...what kind of paint sciron? did you say its silver cuz mine's more of a gunmetalis/charcoal. can you buy oem paint?

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
1) it's duplicolor "medium grey metallic". i've used nothing BUT duplicolor in both of my cars. have yet to have a single complaint.

2) yes, you can buy OEM paint. just go to the ford dealer, and they can crank you out a can/bottle.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I used duplicolor also. Got it autozone...very happy with the outcome.

·
Capt. Urn
5,491 Posts
I've heard that paint for model cars works well. have any of you tried that? is the rumor true or an old wives tale?[???:)]

·
It's been fun.......
3,042 Posts
Usually areas that are subject to people kicking, bumping, scratching,scraping as they get in and out of the car or general use. Door handles, kick panels, etc. most any item that is low in the car and subject to peoples feet/shoes. You can paint just about anything you want just be prepared to repaint these types of areas as they begin to show wear.

·
Registered
232 Posts
High Traffic:

Door handles. Cup Holders. Door sill pieces.

I am having the entire thing painted, twilight blue, my vents and bezel and some other pieces will be racing silver.

If you paint it i recommend you do this:

Take it ALL out and do it all at once. This way you dont have 3 different shades of the same color paint lol. Sometimes the paint just differs ever so slightly and you can tell a difference in the sun. If you buy the paint all at the same time, and paint them all at once, you should not be able to tell a difference.

Sand it down REAL good. Sand the plastic almost smooth. If you have ANY armorall or wax on there the paint or adhesion promoter wont stick more than a couple months tops.

Get some Bulldog adhesion promoter. This will make the primer/paint stick ALOT better to the plastic.

Prime it up real good

Sand it down

prime it again (lightly) and sand to make sure you didnt miss anything and got it all smooth.

Paint 2 or 3 coats of whatever color.

Here some people sand it lightly, with a real fine sand paper to get a finished smooth look before they clear coat it.

Apply 2 or 3 coats of clear coat. Here some people wet sand it ( i have no clue wtf wet sanding is)

Thats how i originally painted my vents, and how we painted my buddy's VW. The VW has no chips or anything and it was painted 12-13 months ago.

·
Registered
650 Posts
that sounds great guys! I am interested in painting the inside vents etc. also. Ive got a silver ZX5 and my stereo swurround is already "brushed aluminum" any reccommendations on what color to go with for the vents??

·
Registered
877 Posts
Im thinking about having the whole interrior painted black, But I have the Grey leather interrior and the whole dash seems squishy (not sure if its leather or not) So would paint still stick to it? Also what would it cost to have it all professionally painted? Also would this void the warrenty? (if it was professionally done)

Thanks, Shawn

Edit: 50 posts w00t!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts