Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured since I had the red & black leather interior, I might go with some red surface mount led's under the front dash.
Picked up some pre-wired red surface mount led's for $3.50 each @ oznium and soldered them right to the pins going to the existing led's. They dim with the original lighting there as well. Couldn't have been easier, seeing I have limited soldering experience.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Looks good. Can you provide a link to the site where you found the leds? I'm interested in not only adding to my footwell lighting, but perhaps changing the color as you have to a color more suited to my plan for my car... Also any instructions might help too. Nothing super detailed, just a few pointers.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Looks good. Can you provide a link to the site where you found the leds? I'm interested in not only adding to my footwell lighting, but perhaps changing the color as you have to a color more suited to my plan for my car... Also any instructions might help too. Nothing super detailed, just a few pointers.
Ahem...

pre-wired red surface mount led's for $3.50 each @ oznium
Add a .com to that and you're there.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Thanks... I didn't know if oznium was a brand or a company so just wanted to know the web address, so yeah... Any pointers though? In regards to the install I meant... Like involving placement, disconnecting the stock lights, what to do, what not to do, etc?

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Ill bet that would look creepy at night if you were driving around with them on. A slight red glow up under your face when you drive by. [}:)]

·
Registered
239 Posts
I was dumb and didn't get surface mount LEDs but still I soldered them on there and they put a modest amount of additional light, which is fine since I didn't want them to be super bright anyway. Very noticeable at full bright and not distracting when they're dimmed. Mission accomplished. Now if I can just manage to rig something up for a sub-woofer.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I like! Want to run in parallel to the back seats too. Curious though. You say you soldered to the pins going to the existing LEDs. From what I can see, there are 4 pins to the SMD after the circuitry. That would take some serious skill! On that though, I'm assuming you're referring to the "pins" of the harness that come into the board "before" all of the factory circuitry. Is that the case? Also, what did you do with the factory LED? Does it still come on, and you just covered it up?

One last thing. From what I've noticed, the factory LEDs dim, but stay on with a glow while driving. Do your LEDs still stay on while driving too?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes your right, I soldered to the leads between the board and plug. I have run some under the back seats as well, I went under the door sill and carpet, so it will come out in the cut in the carpet by the AC duct under the seat and just stuck it there.
They do dim once you start to drive, and the factory lights will come on as well, but you cant really tell.
I think I want to find a switched lead and have them stay on while driving, I don't find them to obtrusive at all while driving.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I ordered Blue LED's. Hopefully they will look good.

Thanks for the pictures.

·
Registered
168 Posts
This is my hatchback lighting mod. I left the OEM incandescent lights in, I will remove the bulbs later. I soldered them right into the wires of the incandescent bulb then ran the wire to the opening right behind them. No drilling or cutting needed on the hatchback. The LED's came with double sided tape on them to attach. I should have bought more of these 6 LED blocks to add more elsewhere. Not only in the car.

Picture is a little blurry because I shot it without a flash and the shutter took a long time.
Sorry about that.

P.S. Shipping was cheap so I will order more soon.

·
Registered
25 Posts
So I'm trying to do something like this, I had a question for you. I don't want to solder directly onto the pins, just because i want to keep it as clean as possible. I'm trying instead to maybe extend the power supply and splice into that. Only problem is, I have no idea what kind of connection the supply is making with the board. The connector kind of looks like this.

The red is the pins and the black is the outline of the connector.
Would anyone happen to know what kind of connection this is actually called?

·
Registered
50 Posts
They have led lights at advance auto with a round control panel
They light up 7 differant colors You can mount them under the dash basically anywhere you want.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Personally I think blue-green interior lights are better and less intrusive in the cabin while driving. blue-green lenses are used to soften light and keep your eyes from adjusting as much http://stlplaces.com/night_vision_red_myth/. I use Red lenses on my flashlights but that's for flashlights I use quickly in close quarters just to look for things. RED becomes intrusive is used too long.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts