Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep hearing different answers from different sites.

Is the Focus Zetec (2001) interference or not? If it IS, then I should change the timing belt soon.

·
Registered
228 Posts
SEARCH!!!!!

This is from YESTERDAY

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=263613[slap]

You're due for a timing belt at 120,000. Just because its a non-interference motor doesnt mean hold of on maintaining your car.
it is a confusing topic but I think we can agree that a reguler zetec is non-interferance.........but you can go to this reliable site and they call it interference.......http://www.gates.com/part_locator/index.cfm?location_id=3598&go=<strong style=

·
Registered
624 Posts
Unless it is an SVT zetec, you don't have interference. This question does come up all the time from noobs. Hopefully the next noob that asks this question will find while using the search box [:)]

keywords: interferance interference zetec timing belt

·
Registered
228 Posts
Unless it is an SVT zetec, you don't have interference. This question does come up all the time from noobs. Hopefully the next noob that asks this question will find while using the search box [:)]

keywords: interferance interference zetec timing belt
I am not a NOOB(25,000 auto forum posts) and I don't understand why Gates.com....a very large, reliable company lists my car engine as an Interference engine.......also Rockauto.com another reliable company lists the zetec as an interference engine........please help us 'NOOB's" out and explain........just PLEASE don't give me the "there is a 2% chance of engine damage" because if that is true then I would call our engine an interference engine....

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
There is a thread about some fellow with a Zetec ZVT [interference engine] that had his timing belt go at ~129,000 miles. He didn't take it apart yet but the engine is pretty much toast but rebuildable

Change your belt BEFORE 120,000 miles, how about 100,000?

·
Registered
2,595 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
I am not a NOOB(25,000 auto forum posts) and I don't understand why Gates.com....a very large, reliable company lists my car engine as an Interference engine.......also Rockauto.com another reliable company lists the zetec as an interference engine........please help us 'NOOB's" out and explain........just PLEASE don't give me the "there is a 2% chance of engine damage" because if that is true then I would call our engine an interference engine....
I didn't call you a NOOB, you just grouped yourself in with them. The zetec is listed as an interference engine because there is one that is interference, the SVT.

seriously though, this question comes up all the time and as mentioned, it was just asked yesterday

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=263613&highlight=interference

plus the OP mentions something that suggests he already knows [dunno]

If it's the Zetec, it's a free-wheeln' motor... If the timing belt bites it, you'll be ok. I'm still on the original one.. 127K miles...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Ok here lets put it this way

benefits of not changing timing belt on a car with over 100k on dash
get more mileage b4 making a REQUIRED repair
maybe sell the car to a idiot and save the money
save money if the transmission blows up first and u junk it

benefits of changing timing belt on a car with over 100k on dash
save money on towing
dont break down on the way to work
dont loose job for missing work
no chance of causing additional damage by being idiot and waiting
get a chance to save up money and get it done right
break down with a hot date in car ( sleep alone that night )

also alot of other things could be said

GET IT CHANGED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
495 Posts
I've had several Focuses towed in with broken timing belts, and they were all OK once a new belt was installed.

None of them were SVT models, so I'd say that either the SPI or the DOHC 2.0's are NON-interference ...

Once the belt breaks, you go to crank it and the engine sounds different, since the starter is spinning everything over but there's no real compression ... everything's just freely moving around in there ...

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
The answer (as always) lies somewhere between the extremes...

Even a theoretically "non-interference" engine CAN bend valves & do other damage IF the belt lets loose at high RPM.

Bottom line - as mentioned - do maint. when required & don't worry about it!

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Zetec/SPI= non-interference, SVTs and modified Zetecs with high lift camshafts or high compression pistons = interference.

All mechanics and all companies that manufacture timing belts will tell you that all engines are interference engines if any model is. For example, Volvo 6 cyl engines were non-interference up to 95 YM, but no website is going to tell you that. Most timing belt engines are non-interference.

Personally, I love the confusion. A timing belt breaks on a car, the person is told the repair will cost $1500+, and decides to purchase a new vehicle instead. The old car is then sold to someone who will tow it for salvage. Some guy like me comes along and purchases the car, installs a $100 worth of parts, and sells it for $2k. This is how I financed my life in 2002 after work stopped for me everywhere. I did Mazdas, Toyotas, and Hondas- all good cars, all with bad timing belts, all ran just fine after I fixed them.

·
Registered
228 Posts
It really isnt confusing. Only thing confusing is how someone didnt see a thread from yesterday asking the same thing.
I guess you cant answer my questions either!!!!!!.........all hat no cattle!!!!!........

·
Registered
228 Posts
The zetec is listed as an interference engine because there is one that is interference, the SVT.
Zetec/SPI= non-interference, SVTs and modified Zetecs with high lift camshafts or high compression pistons = interference.

All mechanics and all companies that manufacture timing belts will tell you that all engines are interference engines if any model is. For example, Volvo 6 cyl engines were non-interference up to 95 YM, but no website is going to tell you that. Most timing belt engines are non-interference

Thanks for answering my question........your 2 responses sound like a logical reason why the engines are listed as interference.......on my ford Rangers with the Lima engines......Gates list them as non interference, which they are..................Facts are interesting things!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
228 Posts
I keep hearing different answers from different sites.

Is the Focus Zetec (2001) interference or not? If it IS, then I should change the timing belt soon.
I guess it is safe to say we have non-interference engines.....if you have the time/money it would probably be a good idea to change it.........I also have seen some people claim that the cars have 120k mile TB's and 60k mile pulleys.......I would consider how far you drive the car away form your home.......if you are just using it around town and it breaks.....that is less of a deal then if you are a a road trip further away.......

·
Registered
228 Posts
you might want to inspect the belt. I pulled my fuel pump relay so the car would not start. Then I removed the bolts that I could reach on the upper TB cover I could pull the cover back some to see the belt. I marked the inspected part of the belt with a sharpie. I then cranked the engine over for a split second and inspected that part of the belt. Do this till you checked all of the belt.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Interference or non-interference, inspecting the belt isn't reliable. My belt looks great except for the 6+ inches where the teeth are gone. I think I may be one referenced early in this thread with 129000 miles...I have it apart now and all exh. valves are bent. I was oblivious to the fact that the timing belt s/b changed at around 60-70m miles. If you have more than 60000 miles on your Focus, replace, or have your timing belt replaced. Don't take the chance of being stranded out in middle of nowhere on a 2 lane country road on a blind hill with your toddler grandson in the dark. It's called preventive maintenance, and I should've known better.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I guess you cant answer my questions either!!!!!!.........all hat no cattle!!!!!........
I dont see where you asked a question...

If you want an explanation of why Gate has it listed as interference its that they are wrong or just give them a call and ask.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I dont see where you asked a question...

If you want an explanation of why Gate has it listed as interference its that they are wrong or just give them a call and ask.
Kumbaya!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts